The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bordeaux and Loire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bordeaux and Loire

by Dale Williams » Wed May 09, 2007 10:26 pm

Tuesday I grilled for David and myself: lamb rib chops, portobello, and parsnips, as well as some broccoli (not grilled). I opened a simple Bordeaux, the 2004 Ecuyer de Couronneau (Bordeaux Supérieur). This is an agriculture biologique wine. No sign of oak, clean raspberry and red plum fruit. The problem is the acidity- no, not my more common complaint of flabby,but this is on other extreme, rather prickly. OK length, but I can't get much pleasure with that acidity. There's something about a Merlot (my guess) profile that can make acidity levels that are fine in Cab Franc or Sangiovese not appealing to me. Calms down a little on night 2, but into the vinegar crock for most of it. B-/C+

Tonight I left work and went to White Plains for a MRI (probably rotator cuff). I think of myself as Mr. Stoic (and not claustrophobic), but there is something about that experience I really don't like. Faced with leftover Bdx I tried and then send to vinegarville, then opened a more deserving bottle with my leftovers (country pate, broccoli, etc). Wine was the 2005 Catherine & Pierre Breton "Franc de Pied " Bourgueil (the name refers to the fact they are not grafted onto American rootstock). Beautiful black cherry and black plum fruit, ripe but bright, this has good acidity, light but firm tannins, and prefect balance. A little green tobacco leaf and cocoa. Really nice, B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Bordeaux and Loire

by Rahsaan » Thu May 10, 2007 5:19 am

Dale Williams wrote: 2005 Catherine & Pierre Breton "Franc de Pied " Bourgueilprefect balance...Really nice

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed this last fall - great purity - and would love to explore the bottling more in depth. If only I had more time :)