The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 3 Saints (Aubin, Julien, and bury) and 1 sinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 3 Saints (Aubin, Julien, and bury) and 1 sinner

by Dale Williams » Sun May 13, 2007 6:02 pm

Friday it was just Dave and I for dinner, I grilled a marinated london broil, asparagus,and potatoes. Seemed like a good time for Bordeaux, I opened the 2004 Ch. Lagrange (St. Julien). Oak a bit much at first, but within about 30 minutes it seemed more integrated. Medium-bodied, blackcurrant and plum fruit, a vanilla edge to the oak. As evening progressed some coffee/mocha and lead pencil notes came out. Not a big wine, but pleasant modern Bordeaux. I had half a bottle left, carried the following night to a friend's for a taste (he's a Lagrange fan), but we never got around to tasting (hopefully he tried today). B/B+

Saturday I went to Marc and Annabelle's for dinner after watching Betsy's nephew's Little League game. I carried the opened Lagrange and a bottle of the 2005 Francois & Denis Clair "Les Murgers de Dents de Chien" Saint-Aubin 1er Cru. This is a bit fatter and richer than some previous vintages, but it carries it well- there's good acidic verve underneath. Bartlett pears with an overlay of hazelnut, light toasty notes. Very good for the level, went well with eggplant/proscuitto first course. B+/A-

Marc had a red he wanted me to try, the 2003 Piocho Red Table Wine (Santa Ynez). He said the owner is a famous investor- he apparently can afford new oak barrels- big blast of oak on initial sniff. Actually, a little calmer on the palate. Very sweet red fruits, fairly low acidity, round and ripe. Reminds me of a midlevel Barossa Shiraz, but I think it's Cabernet/Merlot based. Not my style, B-/C+, but others would rate it much higher.

Main course was grilled salmon and couscous. Marc has the 1994 Saintsbury Pinot Noir Reserve (Carneros) to serve. I'm a little wary, I drank my last 1995 a few years ago and thought this might be OTH. But while fully mature, this has plenty of life, and stays very drinkable throughout night. Perfectly ripe cherry fruit, a velvety texture but with a bright core of acids. Tannins all faded away, good length, I'm shocked how good this still is. A-

Fun night with good friends, and rain stopped in time to let me happily walk home.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency