The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: 2002 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing

by John Tomasso » Mon May 14, 2007 8:49 am

• 2002 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills (5/13/2007)
    We treated this wine to a stay in the decanter for about an hour or so before we drank it, where it showed a blood red color.
    In the glass it seemed more ruby colored - lighter than it looked in the decanter.
    It was still tight at dinner time - the nose lacked the aromatics I'd remembered from previous tries. With time and swirling it began to open up - I get iron or steel and a minerally note, but the oak treatment asserts itself as well, and reminds me of walking into a roomful of barrels of fermenting wine.
    With a taste I find heat, both on the mid palate and the finish - just enough to notice. The wine has heft and richness - lots of dark berries and a hint of chocolate. The longer the wine stays in the glass, the better and more complex it seems to get.
    Though this isn't my favorite style of wine, I enjoyed this bottle and it has a place in my cellar.

I'm guessing that the wine could use some more time in the bottle, or a longer decant.

If I were assigning points , I'd put it in the very good to excellent bracket, just short of outstanding, so maybe 89. I'm not really all that comfortable with the points thing.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 2002 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing

by JC (NC) » Thu May 17, 2007 5:17 pm

Thanks for the note (also saw Hagen's note on the Sea Smoke Ten). I'm trying to decide whether to take part of my allocation this year or pass.