The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Laetitia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

Laetitia

by Nathan Smyth » Tue May 15, 2007 9:42 pm

Stumbled upon this tasting almost by accident; not at all what I was expecting.

2005 Laetitia Estate Pinot Noir Exotic, almost overpowering perfume, with citrus, floral, and raspberry notes [and probably a bunch of other stuff that I didn't take the time to catalogue]. On the palate - light, delicate, fresh, clean, and varietally correct - almost elegant. Now I'm not the world's greatest expert on the Cali wine market [by and large, Cali wines are just too expensive for me], but at about $20, this strikes me as an insanely good value in California Pinot. Easily 90 pts, and I'm probably being conservative. With just a little more acidity, and a little more mid-palate grip, this wine would be spectacular.

2005 Laetitia Reserve Pinot Noir Deeper, darker, more succulent fruit, at the expense of a slightly more reticent nose than the Estate. Technically the better wine, but at twice the price, it ought to be [which only serves to emphasize the value in the Estate bottling].

Also tried a non-vintage white bubbly, made from Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Pinot Blanc, which was a nice drink, and seemed aggressively priced [although, admittedly, I know next to nothing about California bubbly prices].

There's also a Rosé bubbly, and some single-vineyard Pinots, but, sadly, they weren't available for tasting today.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Laetitia

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed May 16, 2007 12:02 am

Good to hear about these. I've really liked what I've had from them although it's been a couple of years now. Need to get some more, I guess.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child