The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Alsace Gewurz, Rheinhessen Kab, Moldova Cab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Alsace Gewurz, Rheinhessen Kab, Moldova Cab

by Keith M » Wed May 16, 2007 2:01 am

2004 Schoffit Harth Alsace Gewurztraminer Cuvée Alexander Vieilles Vignes (France, Alsace, Haut-Rhin, Alsace AOC) 13.5% – appears darker gold hue, beautiful, smell bit perfumed, big honeyed pineapple, hint of zest, sweet yet light, mouthfeel good bound-together texture, tight, almost syrup-like, taste wonderful delightful entry, nectar, honeyed elements, good 5-6 distinct flavors floating around, intense, then emerges great lurking darkness of bitter root, grapefruit and pineapple rind, stark and wonderful element that gives wine great standing, the finish is absolutely awesome—crisp and refreshing, the wine has stunning balance and did the trick for me keeping me intrigued all the way through, worked well paralleling the constellation of flavor in my latest attempt at spargel and new potatoes, the different elements of this wine play excellently off of each other—a wine that kept me on my toes, would love to revisit again

2005 Heinrich Braun Rheinhessen Riesling Kabinett Trocken (Rheinhessen, Germany) 12.5% – appears bright gold, tiny bit of fizz clinging, smell apple, melon, green apple jolly rancher, mouthfeel hint of spritz, bit heavy texture at first, but lightens up a bit, taste crisp apple, quite crunchy with refreshing tartness, hint of minerals, crisp, clean finish, almost one dimensional overall with tart apple skins, good simple flavor profile, but bit too heavy and weighty on tongue—something lighter would have worked better

N.V. Acorex Wine Holding Cabernet Sauvignon Acorex Select (Moldova) 13% – appears dense purple, lots of visible fizz residue, smell burnt blackberry, bit cough inducing, with air, heavy and thick hanging fruit, rather simple nose, mouthfeel medium-heavy, obvious spice, taste thick berry fruit, lots of spice, but not too badly integrated, cool on tongue, very simple drinkable wine, nothing special about it, but okay enough not to offend, stays a bit tart which is a nice alternative for the sickingly jammy fault for many wines in its price range (about US$6)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Alsace Gewurz, Rheinhessen Kab, Moldova Cab

by Rahsaan » Wed May 16, 2007 6:14 am

Keith M wrote:worked well paralleling the constellation of flavor in my latest attempt at spargel and new potatoes

Yes I can see the Gewurztraminer working well with such a dish, although do tell of the constellation of flavors? Something more creative than the traditional butter or hollondaise sauce?
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed May 16, 2007 8:05 am

Rahsaan wrote:. . . do tell of the constellation of flavors? Something more creative than the traditional butter or hollondaise sauce?

Nope nothing creative as of yet, just butter . . . the constellation of flavors was within the spargel itself--tiny bits of juicy sweetness, lots of rhubarb bitterness, touches of richness--a wild ride.

Very interesting, but I upgraded last night to another variety of spargel that goes for twice the price (not sure if the first batch was intended for soup or some 'lesser' purpose). Incredibly rich, sweet, at times delectable--I am starting to see the appeal, but the devil's in the prep/cooking method--got to find the best way to let those flavors shine . . .
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 16, 2007 9:29 am

Keith M wrote:Nope nothing creative as of yet, just butter . . . the constellation of flavors was within the spargel itself, lots of rhubarb bitterness

That could be interesting and seasonal. Haven't thought about using rhubarb but it is certainly available now and quite cheap. Gesche makes some sort of rhubarb compote for breakfast that doesn't fully grab me, but savory, ah, you're giving me ideas... And new directions for wine matches as well..