The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Calif Pinots...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: New Calif Pinots...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed May 16, 2007 4:43 pm

As I headed out for HdR last month; we stupidly tasted (4/25/07) some New PinotNoirs:
1. Radio-Coteau Savoy/AndersonVlly PinotNoir (480 cs; U/U; 14.8%) 2005: Med.dark color;
very bright cherry/black cherry slight earthy light pencilly/oak lovely nose; tart/lean
bright cherry/spicy/PN/Nehi soda pop bit tannic flavor; very long tight/tart bright
cherry/spicy/cherry pie slight earthy finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; classic
AndersonVlly PN w/ lots of bright cherry character. $50.00
flavor; long/lush black cherry/cola light earthy/mushroomy/Burgundian light toasty/oak
finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs yet; classic RRRV PN w/ ripe black cherry
character. $45.00
rather simple flavor; short some toasty/oak very light fruit finish w/ little tannins;
pretty underwhelming and way overpriced at $45.00
black cherry/spicy/earthy finish w/ some tannins; seems a bit hard & closed right now;
needs several yrs of age. $51.00
PN bit herbal finish; needs several yrs; tasty SRH Pinot. $46.00
toasty/smokey/pungent/oak quite spicy/black cherry/cola slight tomatoey finish w/ some
tannins; needs 2-5 yrs; easily the most interesting of the Faillas. $40.00
oak flavor; med.long rich/lush black cherry/blackberry/cola finish w/ light tannins;
seems much like some of the ABC Pinots; very nice Pinot for the price. $35.50
cherry cough syrup some spicy/peppery light toasty/pencilly/oak balanced flavor; very
long spich/black cherry/cola light pencilly finish w/ modest tannins; needs a yr or two;
loads of spicy black cherry character. $45.00
PN light pencilly/oakcedary flavor; very long tart bright cherry/strawberry/PN light
pencilly/oak finish w/ light tannins; very lovely drinking now but could use a yr
or two; lovely aromatic Pinot at a good price. $42.00
some toasty/oak flavor; very long/lingering rich/lush tart black cherry/cherry/PN light
toasty/oak finish w/ some tannins; a big/rich but bright PN w/ great structure; will be
a keeper for several yrs at least; my favorite of the R-C's. $50.00
tart rich/dusty/earthy some black cherry/brambly/PN some toasty/oak slight funky/
Burgundian flavor; long earthy/dusty/mushroomy licorice/black cherry/PN some toasty/
pungent/oak finish w/ fair tannins; rather classic mountain/SCM PN that doesn't have
that bright cherry character of NorthCoast; some like the MtEden or Burnap Pinots of
old w/o the oak; bit Burgundian in character; very interesting Pinot. $49.00
some toasty/smokey/oak flavor; med.long cherry/black cherry/bright/PN some toasty/oak/
pungent finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; doesn't have the bass notes some SRH
Pinots seem to show. $40.00
funky/Burgundian/merde flavor; long tart/rich black cherry dusty/pungent bit toasty/oak
finish w/ some acids; plenty of acid & structure for aging. $39.00
charred/smokey/oak very/very spicy sort of peppery flavor; very long toasty/charred/oak
strong black cherry/PN very spicy bit peppery slight Burgundian finish w/ fair tannins;
needs several yrs; a rather exotic Pinot w/ some Burgundian character to it; my easy
favorite of the Rhys/Alesia set. $39.00
Turley. But the wines he makes under his label, which I presume are the wines he prefers
to drink, are anything but that. They're reigned in, subtle, balanced and always very/
very interesting. I would love to see what he would make w/ vonWeidlich, Lafond,
LyttonSprings, or EaglePoint Zinfandel grapes. I expect it would be an eyeopener.
Ehren is probably more of a lawn bowler type.
w/ John's wines, Augie wanted to try us on his wines there as well. I liked what I tasted.
They were pretty big in the Alban style. But sometimes those early Grenache & Syrahs could
be a little funky, reduced, and some occasional bacterial problems. But they were always
flavorful and interesting.
Over the yrs, as he's moved his winemaking from place to place, now located next to
Garretson in Paso; he's considerably upgraded his winemaking skills, as well as branched
out into other varietals. He's now making, I think, the best wines he's ever made. His
Bassetti Vnyd is one of the best Syrahs made in Calif.
And now for the rest of the story... For being such a good winemaker, it is so sad
that his bowling skills are soooo marginal. Put a bowling ball in his hands out on
WilsonLanes and it's one of the most pathetic athletic sights you'll ever see. Can you
say "gutter ball"?? As a well driller, Augie travels the world and he may very well be
a bowling gawd on WillsonevLanes in Kyrgyzstan, but in Paso he can only stand in awe of
the real bowling athletes from NewMexico.
passable bowling skills.
R-C house style and greater expression of the vnyd source I would say. Drinking the
two SonomaCoast Pinots was an experience akin to rolling nude down an embankment
of alpine strawberries up in the mountains of Switzerland.
And his vonWeidlich Zin is one of the best made in Calif. And I love his Syrahs as
a more elegant expression of that variety in Calif. Total mystery as to his bowling
skills. I'll find out.
This was my first Rhys Pinot. I think it is a very good expression of that terrior
character that dominates wines from the SCMs. It reminded me some of the MtEden and the
Burnap Pinots but w/ reigned in oak. The wines all had a bit of funkiness (brett?)
character to them that gave them a bit of Burgundian character. All three Pinots I
liked quite a bit.
TomHill
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: New Calif Pinots...(long/boring)

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 16, 2007 5:53 pm

TomHill wrote:As a well driller, Augie travels the world and he may very well be a bowling gawd on WillsonevLanes in Kyrgyzstan, but in Paso he can only stand in awe of the real bowling athletes from NewMexico.

:lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed May 16, 2007 7:03 pm

2. Hug: HisBassetti Vnyd is one of the best Syrahs made in Calif.

Tom, I have a few bottles of the 2005 Bassetti from ESJ, and wondered if, 1: you had tasted the ESJ, and 2: if so how it compared to the Hug. If you would rather not make the comparison here in the open, would you PM me? Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Hmmmm....

by TomHill » Thu May 17, 2007 10:54 am

Bob,
I've not yet cracked either of my '05 Bassettis, so can't speak from experience which I like better. Of previous vintages, though, I guess I'd go w/ the EdStJ for the long haul, just based on Steve's track record.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Hmmmm....

by Bob Henrick » Thu May 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Tom, I had occasion to email Steve and asked him his opinion on the '05 Bassetti. He said that he thought it needed 8-10 years and would go 20 or more. I am not sure I have 20 more to wait. Hell I am even older than Old Tom Hill. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Awwwwwww..

by TomHill » Thu May 17, 2007 3:02 pm

Bob,
You just gotta think more positive than that!! :-)
Tom
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu May 17, 2007 3:26 pm

1. Failla: I'm always bemused when I taste thru some Failla wines. Ehren has sort of a reputation for making big/bombastic/alcoholic wines because of his winemaking at Turley. But the wines he makes under his label, which I presume are the wines he prefers to drink, are anything but that. They're reigned in, subtle, balanced and always very/ very interesting.

Tom,

I heard that the Failla Syrahs are also good, and more Rhone than New world in style. I am looking for some to taste, but not easy to find here. Have you tried them?

Thanks for the interesting notes. I have been reading lots of positive things about those Rhys wines.

Marc
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup....

by TomHill » Thu May 17, 2007 4:01 pm

Marc,
Have I tried the Failla Syrahs?? Does a bear....??
I've followed the Failla (and Failla-Jordan) wines from the very start. Pretty much have tried them all, w/ the Syrahs my clear favorites. His first Syrahs were made from AlRago's QueSyrah vnyd over on the SonomaCoast. They were, and still are, dynamite. But Aron dropped that vnyd several yrs ago. He also makes a PhoenixRanch/NapaVlly Syrah that's good...but just that. I'm not a bif fan of a lot of NapaVlly Syrahs.
But easily his best wine is his Estate/SonomaCoast Syrah. Very spicy/peppery and very Rhonish in character. Worth tracking down a btl or two.
Tom
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: Yup....

by James Dietz » Thu May 17, 2007 5:08 pm

I'm waiting for Augie to defend his bowling skills.. No one can be as bad as TH paints him to be!! :P
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well....

by TomHill » Thu May 17, 2007 5:13 pm

James Dietz wrote:I'm waiting for Augie to defend his bowling skills.. No one can be as bad as TH paints him to be!! :P

The fear is that Augie will go next door to Mat Garretson's, get the scoring sheets for that first Rhone 'n Bowl and post them on the Net in front of God & Man for all to see!!! :-)
Tom