The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Friday Night Bordeaux vs. Napa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Friday Night Bordeaux vs. Napa

by Brian K Miller » Sat May 19, 2007 12:16 am

Tonight, served at probably my favorite local restaurant (Old Post Office Grill) with filet mignon, rack of lamb, and Chilean Sea Bass:

Chateau d D'Angludet Margaux 2000 (12.5% abv)

Served straight from the bottle, which was a mistake (I will bring a decanter next time. Vacaville is not a Wine Geek kind of town, and the restaurant had none). Opened with leather and green pepper and a nice mix of red, green, andf black fruit. As the night progressed, this wine BLOSSOMED, with the leather and tobacco and blac fruit notes becoming much more dominant. It's amazing to watch how a wine blossoms in the glass. This is not a Micheal Rolland Bordeaux :) Started out **1/2, but after a couple of hours, it was a solid ***1/2 with maybe some upside potential. Lovely traditional Bordeaux. Oz Clarke suggests 10 years of aging, but this was drinking lovely tonight once it opened up. My favorite of the pair, and my friend's wife, whose tastes are closer to mine agreed.

Still, the Conn Creek Anthology 2002 "Bordeaux" blend was very nice, Much richer, more fruit forward wine, darker black fruit. Definitely some leather and tobacco. Underpinning of vanilla on the palette, but this is not unbalanced at all. This wine was probably drunk too young, but it was still enjoyable. My friend, who loves Zins and Petit Sirah's preferred this one, although he agreed that the Bordeaux opened up nicely. Solid ***.

A lovely wine night with good friends. I'm going to look for more of the Angludet-can't remember where I bought it. (BevMo, I think). I have too many winery clubs already, but I enjoy Conn Creek enough that this is one I would coinsider joining.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Friday Night Bordeaux vs. Napa

by Rahsaan » Sun May 20, 2007 10:52 am

Brian K Miller wrote:served with filet mignon, rack of lamb, and Chilean Sea Bass.

Quite the Flesh Heavy meal.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun May 20, 2007 2:57 pm

None of us are in any way vegetarians, and red wine suggests red meat. I did have a salad with my duck pate appetizer :P
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon May 21, 2007 5:30 am

Brian K Miller wrote:None of us are in any way vegetarians, and red wine suggests red meat. I did have a salad with my duck pate appetizer :P

Aha, multiple people multiple dishes.

I thought your meal consisted of beef lamb and fish all on the same plate.

Of course I guess it could work depending on portions and sauces..
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon May 21, 2007 7:38 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:None of us are in any way vegetarians, and red wine suggests red meat. I did have a salad with my duck pate appetizer :P

Aha, multiple people multiple dishes.

I thought your meal consisted of beef lamb and fish all on the same plate.

Of course I guess it could work depending on portions and sauces..

You need to come to the Adirondacks for combos like that on one plate, except you would be getting bison and venison and rabbit and pheasant, and such, with trout.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 23, 2007 12:09 am

Sounds good to me, Covert! One of my favorite restaurants/wine bars serves a Bison filet. Awesome