The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Killer Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Killer Chardonnay

by Randy Buckner » Sun May 20, 2007 10:47 pm

I wonder if they made an unoaked Chard in '05.

Good question, Dave. I just sent an email to Marie-Eve and asked her just that question. It is not listed on their web site -- it may be a winery only option.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sun May 20, 2007 10:59 pm

I can vouch for Dale's recommendation on Matrot and Pernot. I just last night had the 2002 Mersault by Matrot and it was wonderful - and looking at my records I note that it only cost me $27

I love the Peter Michael chardonnays as well if we are talking California
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon May 21, 2007 1:06 am

Marc D wrote:For Oregon what about the DDO Arthur Chardonnay? Very nice wine, IMO.

Randy Buckner wrote:Domaine Serene tops the Oregon charts.

Tasted both the DDO Arthur and the Domaine Serene Cote Sud (2002 vintages). While the Arthur was nice, we preferred the Cote Sud and bought it.

Jenise, if there was a budget on this I missed it. But we have enjoyed the Drouhin Saint-Veran "Les Deux Moulins" and the Latour Macon-Lugny "Les Genevries." Both of these are pretty crisp Chardonnays and come in under $15 in most states.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon May 21, 2007 8:47 am

I also like the Kumeu River Chard.
From France I like the Puligny-Montrachets from Benoit Ente (Carolina Wine Company was the main or possible sole source but I don't know if they still have them in stock) or Chassagne-Montrachet from Jean Marc Morey (more balanced than some of the other Morey clan who use a lot of new oak).
Burgundy Wine Company (New York City) may have some nice Alex Gambal white Burgs. His village Meursault has been nice in past vintages and has that Meursault typicity. Maconnais is another good suggestion.
Recently I've liked the Markham Chardonnay, and Bouchaine Chard but wouldn't call either a "killer" Chard.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2007 10:15 am

Mt Baker Dave--the 2004 Forgeron Unoaked wa my favorite recent Washington chardonnay too, but we already used it in a tasting so it wasn't on my list. Good suggestion, though.
Last edited by Jenise on Mon May 21, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 am

MikeH wrote:Jenise, if there was a budget on this I missed it. But we have enjoyed the Drouhin Saint-Veran "Les Deux Moulins" and the Latour Macon-Lugny "Les Genevries." Both of these are pretty crisp Chardonnays and come in under $15 in most states.

Mike, I definitely have a budget, but I can do a lot with it. I can average $30 per bottle, and I like to draw from several price ranges. Love to have a $50 bottle in there and a $15 bottle that shows outstanding value. My biggest limitation is quantity--we've grown from 15 regulars to over 50 in three years, so I need five bottles of everything I buy. And retailers up here typically stock only three deep. More has to be sourced out of distributor stock in Seattle and sometimes it's not there. I can buy out of state and do, but I hate to do that if the wine I want is in state--I do want to support the independent local wine stores that are trying to make a go of it, and I try to spread our business around. It's quite a complicated dance of identifying what we want, finding out what we can have and then getting as much as we need.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon May 21, 2007 10:52 am

Jenise, I was impressed by that number of 56 at a recent tasting. Do you hold these in private homes? It would be standing room only at my place.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2007 12:39 pm

JC, no, not in private homes, this is a private community with a clubhouse so we hold our tastings there.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon May 21, 2007 12:45 pm

Dave, here is her reply:

Hi Randy,

It is nice to hear from you today! And everybody is also asking about the unoaked Chardonnay bu we did not make one again as the weather has to cooperate (cool conditions). We have found a site in 2006 that we believe will have the right grapes and are hoping to produce the unoaked in 07 if it all works out.

I do hope that you come by soon, it has been a long time!

So, mystery solved.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon May 21, 2007 2:37 pm

I suspect everyone has their favourites. For me it's Te Mata Elston from NZ (restrained and classy - singing at 6 years old). Others that get repeat business for us: Chateau Fuisse Pouilly-Fuisse (overpriced, but still excellent); Church Road Reserve (from the McDonalds winery in Hawkes Bay, owned by Montana) an utterly cliched, big buttery b'stard; Cullen from Margaret River - classy and rich, worked but not overworked.

One final thought. Rene Michel makes some stunning late harvested chardonnay under (amongst others IIRC) the Vire-Clesse appellation. Might be the showstopper that gets everyone talking after the event.

A good fun challenge and I reckon variety of styles is the way to go to give most to those attending. Success for me is for there to be disagreement about what was good (and what was not).

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon May 21, 2007 3:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Actually, Bucko, I think Lou's suggestion of St. Innocent is pretty cool. The Freedom Hill isn't subtle or elegant, but "killer" fits. Too, it packs a lot of wallop for the money.

I agree with the Freedom Hill; the 05 Anden was good, but for me the FH had more going on.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Mon May 21, 2007 9:28 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:Dave, here is her reply:

Hi Randy,

It is nice to hear from you today! And everybody is also asking about the unoaked Chardonnay bu we did not make one again as the weather has to cooperate (cool conditions). We have found a site in 2006 that we believe will have the right grapes and are hoping to produce the unoaked in 07 if it all works out.

I do hope that you come by soon, it has been a long time!

So, mystery solved.

Thanks for checking on that. Cool climate unoaked Chardonnay from Forgeron is good news for '07!

Dave
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Mon May 21, 2007 11:04 pm

From Oz:

Hunter Valley Tyrrell's Vat 47. From Western Australia, Leeuwin and Voyager Estate.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue May 22, 2007 12:55 am

Bethel Heights makes a fine OR Chardonnay. Don't overlook the much overlooked Pouilly-Fuisse. Barraud and Forest are favorites and usualy under $35. If you can find it, Birgit Eicinger makes a great Gaisberg Chardonnay in Austria. I Like Chablis.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 4:51 pm

Doug--agreed about the Freedom Hill, I've been a fan for years. I haven't had the Anden (Puligny Montrachet in style compared to the Freedom Hill's Meursault) but I'm going to. Just ordered the FH for the tasting and the Anden for me.

Ian said:
Rene Michel makes some stunning late harvested chardonnay under (amongst others IIRC) the Vire-Clesse appellation. Might be the showstopper that gets everyone talking after the event.

A good fun challenge and I reckon variety of styles is the way to go to give most to those attending. Success for me is for there to be disagreement about what was good (and what was not).

Ian, I couldn't agree more. I make a point of not shopping for my own palate, though the advantage of being the shopper is that I don't have to serve anything I find disgusting. Never fails to amaze me, though, that no matter how crappy I think any wine we serve, someone in the room always gives it a first place vote. This tasting will be especially interesting because everybody drinks chardonnay, but I'll bet 90% of our group has never had a serious chardonnay. There are going to be a lot of surprised faces in the room.

Jay, when I mentioned the Hunter Valley it was the Tyrell's Vat 47 I had in mind. Pretty hard to find, though. Easier would be the Leeuwin, or the Kumeu River from NZ, for a representative from that area. Never had the Voyager. Can you tell me a little more about it?

Bill, agreed on the Bethel Heights. For Oregon I went with the St. Inno Freedom Hill though, since as a club member I get advantageous prices.
no avatar
User

Charley Hood

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:20 pm

Ann Arbor, MI

by Charley Hood » Tue May 22, 2007 8:56 pm

I'd recommend any of the recent Chards from Landmark--Overlook, Damaris Reserve or Lorenzo--each are individualistic enough, but quite good in their own right, particularly the Lorenzo.

Flowers Sonoma Coast would be another terroir expressive Chard; year in year out, I think it outshines the more expensive Camp Meeting Ridge.

I've also liked Gary Farrell's touch, although I'm not sure what's up recently with the ownership change and all.

Clos Pepe Estate, if you can find it, is a really great interpretation of Santa Rita Hills fruit from a great site.

Cheers!
Charley
Previous