The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Dr Loosen Riesling L Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun May 20, 2007 1:50 pm

Janet and I had lunch at Wolfgang Puck's Riva, an outdoor dining space at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas, overlooking one of several pools on the fourth floor. We shared an excellent mushroom pizza and a very good tuna sandwich. The 2005 Dr. Loosen Riesling L Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany was a perfect match at a hefty $10 a glass. Bernkastel, Graach and Wehlen vineyards, screwcap. Pretty yellow color, clear hue, sweet aromas of peachs and floral notes, creamy mouth feel with subtle peach, lime and other citrus notes, good acidity, medium finish with sweet fruit notes, the sweetness working very well with the food. At the $10 a bottle we pay in New Jersey, an excellent QPR. 4*.

May 5, 2007.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2005 Dr Loosen Riesling L Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany.

by Sam Platt » Sun May 20, 2007 4:23 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Janet and I had lunch at Wolfgang Puck's Riva, an outdoor dining space at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas, overlooking one of several pools on the fourth floor.

Bob,

In the early '90's my wife and I were able to get a reservation for an anniversary dinner at Puck's original restaurant in Los Angeles, through close a friend. The name of that restaurant escapes me now. Anyway, two days before our dinner we got a call for the restaurant saying that our reservation was canceled due to "lack of availability". When I pressed for an explanation the smug reservationist said "That's all the information I have, Sir. Thank you. Bye. <click>". I will never eat at any of Puck's establishments.

PS: Glad you liked the Loosen.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun May 20, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi Bob,

Isn't this a just a lovely wine? We just had with an Indian spicy coconut milk shrimp curry. It was a wonderful match. Affordable too, at only $12.95 in Canada. I still have a few bottles in my cellar.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Sun May 20, 2007 7:51 pm

This makes in interesting little international price comparison wine. Cheapest price at discount merchants in Sydney is A$19, which works out at about US$15.60 or C$17.

This is why imported wines have such a small share of the domestic Australian market...
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun May 20, 2007 10:41 pm

" ... our reservation was canceled due to "lack of availability"."

That is such a bummer, Sam. I know that restaurants have to cancel from time to time, but they really should treat their guests with more respect and make it up to them somehow.

I've lost some respect for Spago.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun May 20, 2007 10:47 pm

Graeme, it's fascinating how the price varies here in the states. According to Wine Searcher Pro, it goes for as little as $7.99 and as much as $18.99 here.

When I wrote my notes about the tasting in Las Vegas, I found an extraordinary range of prices for many wines. WSP is really worth its subscription price if you are a value shopper.

Thanks for the insight on the Australian market price.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun May 20, 2007 10:48 pm

I agree, Tom, we had it twice during our trip to Las Vegas, and it was a great food match both time with four different dishes. You've reminded me to buy a few bottles for the summer.

Regards, Bob