The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Warning, Paul B. hybrid tasting note

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: Warning, Paul B. hybrid tasting note

by Tom N. » Sun May 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Indiana wine from Oliver winery near Bloomington, IN
Tasted a number of wines, mostly made with grapes imported from CA. The one variety I tasted that was grown on site was Chambourcin. I had a 2005 chambourcin and a 2006 chambourcin rose.

2005 chambourcin: Nice ruby red wine with an oaky nose with not much else showing, even after extensive swirling. A bit light on the midpalate with some red fruit but a decent medium long finish. Too oaky for me. It seems to me the oak was added to make up for a lack of structure in the wine.

2006 Creekbend vineyard Chambourcin rose. Lovely coppery red wine with an expressive nose of strawberries and red raspberries. Good refreshing acidity, red fruits (especially raspberry) and grippy tannins on the midpalate. Nice medium long finish of fruit and acidity. I liked this wine enough to buy a bottle at $15 (tax included). This is a nice well-balanced and refreshing rose :P that I think would be good for both patio sipping or go well with a light alfresco meal.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Warning, Paul B. hybrid tasting note

by Paul B. » Sun May 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Wow, Tom, thanks for the note.

I've tried a number of varietal Chambourcins from Indiana, and they are really good there. By contrast, I've been disappointed with the few Chambourcins I've tried from Ontario - I simply feel that the grape needs a longer ripening season than we can muster. A few hundred miles south, though, and it seems that there are just enough degree days to coax some really nice fruit out of the late-season Chambourcin variety.

Thanks again for the TN.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN: Warning, Paul B. hybrid tasting note

by Tom N. » Sun May 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi Paul,

Are coming to MoCool this year? If you are, I am bringing some hybrids for you and I to taste. Just let me know so I can bring the wine to MoCool.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.