The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '05 St. Francis Rosé

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: '05 St. Francis Rosé

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun May 20, 2007 9:22 pm

This is a winery that rarely seems to get much play among wine geeks. It's a nice stop in Sonoma, though, and it's where I picked up this bottle of their 2005 Rosé. This is a saigné from their Meritage wine. 14.8% alcohol, can't remember what I paid for it (although I seem to remember thinking it was a little pricy for what it was).

Strange color. Not quite orange or rust, but sort of a brown-red. Very reticent nose (probably due to its being served cold). A very slight overripe, musty scent, maybe a little rose petal. In the mouth, it combines taut acidity with a ripe, grapey flavor. Doesn't taste hot, again possibly due to the temperature, but I feel the alcohol when it hits my stomach. Finishes crisp and clean, as a rosé should.

Overall, not as bad as I've made it sound. I prefer these wines with less alcohol, but this one carries it off pretty well. Probably wouldn't buy it again, though. Doesn't compare to Mr. Edmunds'.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child