The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dusted Valley, Washington, Red Nectar, Barossa, Au Bon Climat Chard.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: Dusted Valley, Washington, Red Nectar, Barossa, Au Bon Climat Chard.

by Bob Ross » Sun May 20, 2007 11:36 pm

WTN:

Once a month I spend an evening indulging in two of my obsessions -- Scandinavian stamps with a group of like minded collectors, and trying one or more glasses of wine at the Endless Vine here in Franklin Lakes. This Wednesday was particularly interesting: one of the fellows had a great presentation on Iceland's I Gildi overprints, and both the Yankees and the Nets were playing and winning on TV at the Endless Vine. Best of all, I was able to finish the evening watching a couple of TV shows with my greatness obsession, who had spent the several preceding hours on her contracting business.

2005 Dusted Valley Vintners Stained Tooth Syrah Walla Walla Columbia Valley Washington. 14.5% alcohol. http://www.dustedvalley.com Winemakers hype: "Purple is our favorite color. You know you’re drinking the good stuff when your teeth develop that unmistaken hue. Don’t worry, Dr. Dan Johnson D.D.S. says “Life is too short to stain your teeth on cheap wine.” This is a blend of some of Washington States top vineyards incorporating a co-ferment of Syrah and Viognier. The bouquet floats out of the glass and draws you into all the extraordinary fruit while the ripe tannins provide a silky finish. Be sure to enjoy this bottle with a grilled rack of lamb encrusted with rosemary and thyme over a hickory fire. Beware may make a meal memorable. 92% Syrah, 6% Viognier and 2% Granacha Co-fermented." $24 at winery; $37 at the Endless Vines; $12 by the glass. Screwcap. Deep purple color, deep hue, amazing aromas and tastes of fruit and spice, medium mouth finish, well balanced tannins, fruit and acidity, long interesting finish. I couldn't resist buying three bottles to follow this wine development. 4*+.

2005 Red Nectar Cabernet Sauvignon Barossa Valley Australia. http://www.dustedvalley.com $12.00 a glass, $50.00 a bottle at Endless Vines. Red color, medium hue, good fruit aromas and taste, with hints of flowers, earth, berries, a bit of eucalyptus; medium mouth feel; oaky base, fairly good balance, long finish with good fruit, spice and cedar notes. But the oak is just too dominate for me. 3*.

2005 Au Bon Climat Chardonnay Santa Barbara County California. http://www.aubonclimat.com/ $20.00 retail. $8.00 a glass at Endless Vines. About 65% Bien Nacido Vineyard Chardonnay and 35% Rancho Vinedo Vineyard. Yellow color, clear hue, very good fruit aromas and tstes, apple and lemons and a pleasant spice underlayment, good acidity, well balanced between fruit and acidity, perhaps just a touch of excess oak, but the pretty finish makes up for it. 3*+.

Regards, Bob