The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Young West Coast Cabs.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Three Young West Coast Cabs.

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 21, 2007 3:12 am

It was the first anniversary of one of my absolute favorite wine bars/restaurants within a 50 mile radius-58 Degrees in Midtown Sacramento.

After a rather brisk (for my plump self-especially given nasty seasonal allergic asthma) 50 mile spin down the American River Bicycle Path to Old Town Fair Oaks, a 1920s village overlookiong the river (which has very vocal roosters wandering around the little village square!) and back, we repaired to the restaurant for beverages and food. Except for the people riding two or three abreast on the bike path throughout the day, what a beautiful riverside bike path! :twisted:

Don't have good notes on the wines by the glass, but to start with, we really enjoyed a Belgian White Ale. Perfect! The name starts with an "Hoe..." I believe. I also had a forgettable Spanish Garnacho (So far I am very unlucky in finding Spanish wines that I like!!!), my friend Donna had a nice Sancerre. The wine menu was light on Cabs (more red meat was on the agenda), so we wandered into the retail section of the establishment next door. Our haul included:

2004 Melka CJ Cab. Napa Valley Phillipe Melka's personal wine, named after his two children. My choice. Very big and tannic (we decanted it upon opening), but you know, I liked this quite a bit given how young and raw it is. Big black fruit, still easy drinking, the vanilla disease that slays so many modern Napa Cabs was present but well under control. Some spark to it, but not overly, harshly brambly. $45 plus corkage. Solid ***. Probably my favorite of the day. The 2003 was recommended to me by a wine shop owner I trust, so I'm happy. I'll let it sleep a few years.

Woodward Canyon Artistry Series 2003. COlumbia Valley My friend Joe bought this, and he liked it enoguh to take a bottle home, too. Joe seems to like this kind of slightly "green" flavor profile. It didn't taste like a Napa Cab, really-and it didn't taste like Bordeaux that much either. More red fruit, somewhat lean but still smooth. Very berryish in character. Still quite drinkable and pleasant-I certainly had a glass or two. To my palette, I would give it **. Like I said, Joe brought a bottle home.

Cliff Lede 2004 Stag's Leap District. Our friend Steve, who we ran into on the bicycle path, bought this baby. A consistent performer in my mind, I like cliff Lede as very California but very elegant and restrained wines. This might be described as exactly in the middle of the other two: Not as dark or rich as the Melka, with more red fruit. Quite a bit lusher and bigger than some of the other Cliff Lede wines I've tried. Like the Woodward canyon, the tannins and bite was less present than in the Melka. A hint of green, but the mix of red and black fruits really dominates. Solid **1/2-to-*** stars -I could see buying this one.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: WTN: Three Young West Coast Cabs.

by Keith M » Mon May 21, 2007 3:40 am

Brian K Miller wrote:we really enjoyed a Belgian White Ale. Perfect! The name starts with an "Hoe..." I believe.

Hoegaarden, perhaps? The Witbiers I've had from them have been consistently impressive.

Thanks for the notes on the Cliff Lede. I have heard interesting rumblings about them in the past, so it is interesting to hear your perspective.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon May 21, 2007 8:27 am

If you have the opportunity, try the Melka Metisse (a Meritage or Bordeaux blend). (Or maybe you have already encountered it?) I really liked it at a tasting in Charlotte. Also has an artistic label based on the artist Matisse.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 21, 2007 8:30 pm

That's it, Keith! A perfect beverage for a summer afternoon with friends!

Thanks, JC. I'll look for it. The label on the CJ was pretty elegant, too.

This was definitely a big, ripe Napa Cab-and not at all like the Bordeaux I am leaning to more and more. Jenise, given her Benziger comments, would probably not like it. My palette really prefers the black fruit side of the spectrum.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach