The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Benziger Tribute, La Spinetta x 2

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Benziger Tribute, La Spinetta x 2

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2007 10:13 am

A friend dropped by yesterday with two bottles in tow, the 2004 La Spinetta Barbera D'Asti and the 2005 La Spinetta Tuscan Sangiovese. He said that in spite of his love for traditional wines, he really loves La Spinetta's stuff and he wanted a second opinion (he just got back into the wine business after a several-year break). I've never had La Spinetta wines before. Frankly, I couldn't stand the latter--purple with a sweet bubble gum note on the nose, and on the palate, grapey mystery fruit with vinegar. There wasn't one thing about it that suggested either Italian wine or sangiovese to me. The Barbera was better, though I didn't love it, it was just better than the sangiovese. Again, the grape was unrecognizable. Mostly black fruit nose with dust and tar, and more extracted black, red and blue fruit on the palate. Not grapey, but I could detect some VA here too. I don't get these wines at all.

To go with our dinner of beef, pea and pearl onion stew on grilled bread, I chose a half bottle of 2005 Benziger Tribute (Sonoma) that was given to me by a Canadian friend. Unabashedly Californian with rich, superripe black fruit. Big and wide bodied with plush and jammy midpalate fruit and a touch of cedar vanillin. The finish is sweet with ripe, smooth tannins. Not unpleasant as a cocktail, but totally wrong with food. Never had this wine before--is this typical of Tribute, typical of the 2005 vintage, or both?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Benziger Tribute, La Spinetta x 2

by Hoke » Mon May 21, 2007 10:57 am

I would say your description is pretty typical of Tribute, Jenise.

Btw, the Tribute is the Benziger release of their biodynamic project.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Will the oak be integrated given a few years? I have a 2002 in my wine cooler. I've not found Benziger/Imagery Cabs to be extremely oaky (compared to some at least). Maybe my oak-sensitivity is weakening? (Oh no!!)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Jenise,

The only thing I can (truthfully) say is that the La Spinetta Barbera does taste better in Torino. In fact it tastes great in Torino. Go figure.
Decisions are made by those who show up