The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1992 Mondavi Napa Valley Cabernet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 1992 Mondavi Napa Valley Cabernet

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 21, 2007 6:26 pm

1992 Mondavi Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon – this was one of the first years to be bottled in those stupid bottles with a flat glass rim at the top. This apparently accomplished two things – made the winery stand out from all the others (except, of course, the ones that also used this bottle) and also made it impossible to use various types of common corkscrew on this bottle.

The wine is a blend of 81% cab sauv, 10% cab franc and 9% merlot. The 24 months in French oak imparted the usual heavy handed Mondavi telltale trademark to this wine when it was young, but now, at 15 years of age, all that has come into balance. As for the 90% of this wine that has been drunk much earlier, well tough, I guess, at least the impatient ones got what they were expecting – big vanilla oak and tannin.

In fact the tannins are still present, only partially muted or softened, and the nose has added some plum to the ubiquitous vanilla, and the mid-palate is a juicy tasty melange with good fruit in the mouth. It finishes well, in a medium length organised fashion, and I’m not sure it will improve much from here, although it will certainly hold, probably for quite awhile. Quite pleasant now, and for those with the self control to have cellared this, go pop a cork and pat yourself on the back for having restrained yourselves – you have a very nice mature California Cabernet on the plateau of development.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WTN: 1992 Mondavi Napa Valley Cabernet

by wrcstl » Tue May 22, 2007 4:41 pm

Bill,
I gave up buying Mondavi, Silver Oak, Beringer et all for the same reason, too much oak, too much alcohol and to much ripe fruit. Having said that, with 10-15 years age, the well made ones end up being really good drinks once everything integrates. Almost wish I had not sold most of them. I still have 1 bottle of '92 Mondavi Res and the last one opened was great. Was your bottle the reserve of regular bottling? As a final thought, bet Mondavi would not age as well today
Walt
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: 1992 Mondavi Napa Valley Cabernet

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 22, 2007 4:46 pm

wrcstl wrote:Bill,
Was your bottle the reserve of regular bottling? As a final thought, bet Mondavi would not age as well today
Walt

It was the regular - I always made a judgement on whether the Reserve was worth the extra loot in an given vintage. Sometimes it wasn't (1992, 1985) and some times it was(1987, 1994).

I always used to say that Mondavi wines were always drunk too soon, as the oak integrates, but only with time. It was ludicrous to add the amount of oak they did, especially to the Chards, as nobody kept them long enough to appreciate them.