The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Strub Niersteiner Paterberg Riesling Spätlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2000 Strub Niersteiner Paterberg Riesling Spätlese

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 21, 2007 8:29 pm

2000 Strub Niersteiner Paterberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheinhessen (5/21/2007)
Remember when the pradikat on a German wine label meant something? Remember when a glass of spatlese was refreshing and food friendly, instead of a dessert wine with plans for world domination? Well this wine takes me back to those long, lost days of yesteryear, when a crisp glassfull of spatlese meant fresh fruit and zingy acids, balance and refreshment. Wonderful with our Indian spice pork chops, this isn't so much developing with age as holding on to its youth like a middle-aged surfer. It's fun, but you can see the wrinkles. Enjoyable company, but get it now beofer it shrivels up into nothingness.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2000 Strub Niersteiner Paterberg Riesling Spätlese

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 12:30 pm

I actually have this wine. Thanks for the nudge.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue May 22, 2007 12:56 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2000 Strub Niersteiner Paterberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheinhessen (5/21/2007)
Remember when the pradikat on a German wine label meant something? Remember when a glass of spatlese was refreshing and food friendly, instead of a dessert wine with plans for world domination? Well this wine takes me back to those long, lost days of yesteryear, when a crisp glassfull of spatlese meant fresh fruit and zingy acids, balance and refreshment. Wonderful with our Indian spice pork chops, this isn't so much developing with age as holding on to its youth like a middle-aged surfer. It's fun, but you can see the wrinkles. Enjoyable company, but get it now beofer it shrivels up into nothingness.

I think Marty's has the 2001 version of this on clearance for $15.

The label looked different than the one I am used to, though. Did Strub change labels at any point, or is there more than one Strub?

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Strub had a terrible label from 2000-2002 or 2003. They changed to something more respectable in 2004.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue May 22, 2007 5:53 pm

Yes, it was seriously awful.

Thanks for the heads up!