The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Syncline Mourvedre 2005 Horse Heaven Hills - Washington

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

WTN: Syncline Mourvedre 2005 Horse Heaven Hills - Washington

by rumpole » Mon May 21, 2007 11:51 pm

Attended a winemaker's dinner with Syncline this past weekend. A quality Columbia Gorge winemaker of rhone varieties. All his wines were great, but this 100% Mourvdere was my WOTN (a Late Harvest Viognier was a close 2nd). I agree with the winemaker's tasting notes below. Seemed old world, but with a bit more fruit - especially plum. Went great with a buffalo steak. Hard to find outside of Seattle to Portland to Walla Walla areas. Syncline's flagship wine is the Cuvee Elena (2004 was great, but probably not to be found anymore); a Southern Rhone blend-2005 out in the fall.

Great QPR at $22 too. Cork-free winery.

2005 Mourvedre Coyote Canyon Vineyards
Production: 200 cases

Tasting Notes
Planted on what was the shoreline of the great Missoula floods, this steep and stony hillside vineyard is layered with gravel and caliche and has unencumbered southern exposure. Aged in French oak barrels. Layers of dried plum, cassis, clove, coffee bean, black pepper, tar and savauge character are complimented by a bright finish.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: Syncline Mourvedre 2005 Horse Heaven Hills - Washington

by Randy Buckner » Tue May 22, 2007 12:43 am

I like their wines as well (I did a story on them recently http://www.thenewstribune.com/soundlife/food/story/31241.html), but I did not get to taste the Mourvedre. Thanks for the note.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Tue May 22, 2007 1:17 am

rumpole wrote:Attended a winemaker's dinner with Syncline this past weekend. A quality Columbia Gorge winemaker of rhone varieties.

I am so jealous. After reading Bucko's article about Syncline back in March, I wanted to visit them. We drove I84 along the Columbia River shortly thereafter, and I tried calling to see if I could gain entry by tossing out Dr. B's name. Alas, no one was around to answer the phone.

I'm hoping to get down there later this summer. It's a really beautiful area.

BTW ... where was that dinner?

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue May 22, 2007 6:51 am

Mourvedre is a grape I just don't get to taste enough of (whether straight or in blends). Previous experience suggests I'd have a pretty good success rate.
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Tue May 22, 2007 9:22 am

I just received my club shipment of this wine. I'm nervous though because we had a sudden hot streak the day it was delivered and we had a delivery miscommunication, so it traveled from the UPS warehouse to my house two days in a row. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Syncline is one of my favorite WA wineries, so I decided to jump in for the quarterly shipments. Since we're going to be in the area, I'm debating stopping by there on Thursday (first day the new place is open to the public). I was trying not to turn this trip into a big winery visit (since I have recently blown about 3 years wine budget), but that's getting harder to do....
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

by rumpole » Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 am

Syncline winemaker's dinner was at the unique old railroad Lyle Hotel in Lyle, Washington. Chef Chris did a great job with the pairings.