The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Big Bang

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: The Big Bang

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 11:44 am

My negative feelings about viognier used to be quite strong: I hated it. Some good domestic examples in the past year or two have reduced that to ambivalence. I no longer hate it, but I'd prefer almost anything else. That's as good as it is going to get. But I just had one more thing to do before I wrote the grape off completely--splurge on a really good French version. Which I did a week ago when I tripped over a bottle of 2004 Eric Texier Condrieu at the most improbable little wine and cheese shop ever, Slough Foods, in the tiny little middle-of-nowhere, hook-in-the-road town of Bow-Edison of which the main drag consists of this store, a bread bakery, and a biker bar. I kid you not.

But back to the wine--THIS IS VIOGNIER? Viognier can do THIS? I did not recognize it. There was nothing here that reminded me of viognier as I know it, either in smell or taste. Light yellow color. On the nose there was that diesel thing that reminds me of many Chablis, honeydew melon, sweet white flowers and papaya. In the mouth, white nectarine with a hint of lime peel, plus the kind of creaminess I associate with malolactic fermentation and which muted the ample-enough acidity until you swallowed your sip and then went BANG! in your mouth. It was just this elegant little ride of restrained but exotic smells and tastes and then it exploded in you mouth, after which came one of the longest finishes I can recall on a young white wine. And that's verfifiable: I was actually sitting there trying to think to myself how to describe that bang when Bob commented on exactly the same thing.

Stunning. Exquisite. I cannot heap enough praise on this wine. It was not flabby, it was not heavy, it did not smell of dead old ladies and Estee Lauder perfume. It was unlike anything domestic viognier had ever prepared me for, and it reminded me of the kind of subtle force and delineation I love about Austrian whites. If this is viognier, I want more.
Last edited by Jenise on Wed May 23, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: The Big Bang

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 23, 2007 12:28 pm

Jenise, do you recall the price? (I'm scared by the word "splurge!")
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed May 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Great note, Jenise. Was this the Eric Texier Condrieu Janrode?

I don't know his wines as well as I should, given the purity of his wine making.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 3:22 pm

Cynthia, I bought this and a Dauvissat Chablis at the same shop, and they were $40 and $44, but I don't recall which was which.

Bob, Janrode? No, no such word on the bottle, just "Condrieu" which is of course the appellation.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed May 23, 2007 3:46 pm

Thanks, Jenise, a New Jersey shop is offering a 2004 for $54; his note sounds a lot like yours:

2004 Eric Texier Condrieu Janrode - The least amount of manipulation possible is the mantra for Eric Texier, a man who prefers the lightest of touches in the winery. The grapes for this wine come from the Janrode Vineyard, known for making Viognier with brighter acidity and mineral character, something it shares in common with its neighbor, Chateau Grillet. Fifteen to twenty-five year old vines provide the lifeforce for this gorgeous white that superbly balances pungent white peach notes, nectarine and wet stones. Enjoy this wine now and over the next five years.
-- Chris Cree, 56 Degree Wines, February 28, 2007

This is the only Texier Condrieu I can find on Wine Searcher Pro; I'm going to try a bottle. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards, Bob

PS:

Texier's web page makes a clear distinction between the two wines:

http://www.eric-texier.com/en/wines/nr/condrieu.html

and

http://www.eric-texier.com/en/wines/nr/ ... nrode.html

He really crams a tremendous amount of information into these pages -- very interesting reading. Thanks again for a heads up.

B.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 3:51 pm

Hmmm...white nectarine. That's probably a descriptor I should have used. The Janrode is apparently a single vineyard bottling. Sounds good, though I can't imagine a wine better than what we had.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed May 23, 2007 3:54 pm

I may have edited in some additional learning while you were responding, Jenise.

The Texier website is a real treasure for a reader like me.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Thanks, Bob, you're right I missed your edit. I like this phrase from the plain Jane model I had, which sums up the expereince of drinking this wine neatly: Viognier from Condrieu can be seductive and tantalizing with haunting floral and exotic fruit aromas and a supple, fleshy and complex palate that is fresh and crisp.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu May 24, 2007 12:58 pm

I just ordered some more wine from John and I hope there is another of bottle of the Texier to try when I go down to pick up the wine. It is great that the Texier wines are showing up out here, although when I tried to order the Brezeme they were sold out already.

Slough Foods is the best. Any store with a sign reading "Riesling is what the Gods drink, except when at war then its Syrah" is alright by me. Not too long ago MJ and I picked up some salami and cheese and a baguette from next door for a picnic at Larabee State park and grabbed a bottle of the sparkling Bugey to wash it down. We had forgot to bring glasses as it was a last minute thing. I asked John for some plastic cups to use, and instead he lent us a couple of Riedel stems to drink with.

Thanks for the note on the Condrieu.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 24, 2007 1:16 pm

I like your picnic--guess what, the day I bought this Texier, a girlfriend and I did the same thing for our lunch. I'd been down to Compass to pick up a bunch of wine for a grenache tasting I was hosting, and the timing was perfect for a sunny day picnic lunch on the way back. We were heading for Larabee but actually never got there, there was a turn-out on Chuckanut that offered a splendid view and a big flat rock to sit on. I believe the bottle I bought was the only one he had, re the Condrieu, but hopefully he can get some more. I'd buy a few.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Thu May 24, 2007 2:46 pm

That Texier is certainly a stunning wine! Unfortunately it's too expensive for me to drink more than very, very occasionally.

I'm with you on domestic Viognier. I don't know of a single Washington bottle I can really strongly recommend. They're really all just too much of too much. Condrieu is always expensive, but there are southern French examples that please me at a much lower price. My top pick for inexpensive French viognier:

2005 Domaine Astruc Viognier Vin de Pays d'Oc
Tasting note from Cellartracker:
Tasted by RickG on 7/22/2006: Had this initially as the starter wine to a tasting of 2004 Rhone whites. This little number more than held its own. I'm not a Viognier fan... it too often goes overly floral and blowsy or phenolic with lanolin notes. Well, there's none of that here. Flavors of apricot and pear are sharpened by notes of allspice and white pepper. Drunk at cellar temp, this belies its $8 price tag - I'd be fine if this had cost twice that. There's some acid on the palate to brighten things, but not so much as to be unbalanced. And, it has survived very nicely over three nights in the fridge. Highly recommended... A grrat summer white that would be worht holding and drinking for a year or so. I'm a bit curious to see what it would do at age five...

The Astruc is not in the same league as the Texier of course, but I agree with the tasting note - it is worth several times its' very low price. Unfortunately the Astruc was out of stock at the Western Washington distributor last time I checked, but hopefully the new vintage will be in soon ...

Dave