The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Comparing two Crianzas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Comparing two Crianzas

by JC (NC) » Wed May 23, 2007 5:33 pm

After the Spanish wine tasting last month, I bought one bottle of each of these and three bottles of the Vina Esmeralda blend of Moscatel grape and Gewurztraminer.
I opened the red wines this past week and compared them.
Started with the 2001 Alzania Crianza, Navarra (Navarre), Spain
13.5% alcohol
Deep garnet and amethyst colors. Quite juicy and flavorful. Very appealing. I found a very attractive taste element in it the first evening but couldn't pin down what it was. It had faded or disappeared overnight. Lighter mouthfeel than the Legaris. A hint of blueberry and blackberry in the flavors. From young vines.

2003 Legaris Crianza, Ribera del Duero, Spain
100% Tinta Fina (Tempranillo)
14% alcohol. Also young vines and a female winemaker.
Imported by Vinum International, Napa, CA.
Dark purple color with deep crimson on the rim. Similar shades to Alzania Crianza. Nose was not as full-bore as the flavors which exhibit blackberries and a touch of mocha. I first got muddled crushed berry flavors with some earth and prominent chewy tannins but it became more and more attractive as it breathed. Decant or pour 45 minutes before drinking.
Heavier feel than the Alzania. Overall, I prefer the Legaris over the Alzania but the Alzania shone the first night. Nice with Cheshire cheese or probably most cheddar-type cheeses.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Comparing two Crianzas

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 23, 2007 6:02 pm

Interesting tasting notes.

I got really wierd licorish (sp) notes with legaris the other week. It may be characteristic, but we didn't like it very much.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed May 23, 2007 6:39 pm

Was that a bottle at home or a glass in a restaurant? I did like it better after it was open for awhile so wondered if you had a chance to let it air?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 23, 2007 10:59 pm

Probably not long enough, but it did get some time.

Maybe I need to be more "intellectual" about it and pay closer attention to the uniqueness of the flavors, rather than just let my initial "emotional" reactions hold sway. (I'll never learn to like harsh caramel in a cab, though. :P ) The problem probably is that I threw it in with my Syrahs at a themed tasting, so....unfair to the wine.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu May 24, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks for the notes, JC.

Brian - I attended a tempranillo tasting on Tuesday and got those same licorice notes, but strangely enough it was in a 2004 Tittarelli Reserva from Mendoza, Argentina. I kind of liked it, though :?
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt