The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone tasted the Donnhoff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Anyone tasted the Donnhoff

by Howard » Fri May 25, 2007 10:42 pm

2005 QbA? After my introduction to Rieslings in the Finger Lakes Region, I'd like to dip my toe into the Riesling waters. My hunch is I could fall head over heels in love with this grape if I gave it half a chance. I also understand that 2005 was fabulous in the Nahe region and Donnhoff is among the best of the best. If anyone would like to disagree with any of these assumptions please do. Also, if anyone has an idea of how to begin a systematic approach to learning something about this very intriguing group of wines I'd love to hear about it.
Howard
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: Anyone tasted the Donnhoff

by JoePerry » Fri May 25, 2007 10:58 pm

Howard wrote: Also, if anyone has an idea of how to begin a systematic approach to learning something about this very intriguing group of wines I'd love to hear about it.

Get a second job. :wink:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 26, 2007 6:19 am

Buy and enjoy. And good on you for starting with the sensible QbA before rushing to the Big Sweet Wines.

FWIW, you might consider snapping up some 04 kabinetts while they are still around as it will show you a more "crisp" "classic" vintage in comparison to the lush opulence of 05 (excellent as it was) and also the richness of 06. That will give you a good basis to start comparing and contrasting what you like and don't like about German riesling.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sat May 26, 2007 11:26 pm

Thanks Rahsaan, as always, good advice from you. I will look at the 04 kabinetts.

And Joe,
I was afraid of that.
Howard