The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN's: Alesia, Rhys and others

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

TN's: Alesia, Rhys and others

by Michael Malinoski » Sat May 26, 2007 1:05 pm

This was an informal follow-up in early May to a similar event held a few months earlier. I got sick on the eve of that tasting, so was really happy to be able to attend this time.

2003 Rhys Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains. This was the bottle that inspired this whole tasting, as it was meant by Karl to have been brought to the first Rhys/Alesia tasting a few months ago, but forgotten at home. It is a pale, mildly cloudy yellow in color. The nose is stony, with peach pit and lemon/lime peel aromas. Fairly full-bodied in the mouth, I found the texture a touch grainy at first, but later smoothing out considerably to highlight flavors of meaty pears and stones. It has a big, rounded finish tinged with spices and wood. A fine Chard, but I suggest holding a bit longer.

2002 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault. Bright gold-tinted color. The nose is pretty tight, with minerals initially and later browning green apples and baking spices. On day 2, some dusty chalk and lemon sourball notes emerge. In the mouth, it is fairly linear and taut with some apple fruit. On day 2, it shows more generously with a moderately warmer personality and creamier texture. Again, probably worth holding a few years.

1955 Grivelet Vosne Romanee Les Malconsorts. As if we needed added incentive to attend this tasting, Karl offered up this ’55 Malconsorts right from the beginning. The wine is a very pale garnet color. The nose is cool and crisp, with crunchy autumn leaves, worn bridle leather, chilled red berries and soft spice aromas. In the mouth, it is medium-bodied, and still shows plenty of structure, though no evident tannins. It is smooth and elegant, with delicate strawberry fruit, yet it somehow feels a bit aloof or reserved in an old-world gentlemanly kind of way. The finish is crisp and tart, and leaves a very pleasing impression. I really enjoyed trying this bottle, and think it showed well.

2004 Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast. The Sonoma Coast sports a fresh, bright nose with a soft edge of spices that add to a feel of finesse. In the mouth, it has ample body, a good deal of spiciness, and pretty flavors of raspberries, mocha, cocoa and something like tea leaves. The finish is nice and clean, with good length.

2004 Alesia Pinot Noir Sonatera Vineyard. Run-away WOTN for me. I really dig the nose, which offers a great earthy funk and all kinds of underbrush and spice notes to go with the crushed raspberry puree and blueberry fruit. After the earthiness of the nose, you then get hit with a shot of just pure fruit in the mouth—featuring sweet mixed red berry jam flavors and a kiss of wood. It is round and full and nicely rich without any heaviness at all. The finish could be longer, but this is an outstanding bottle of Pinot.

2004 Alesia Pinot Noir Chileno Vineyard. Of the three Alesia Pinots, I found this one to have the most fruity and primary nose at this point. It is also pretty up-front with the fruit in the mouth, with red and blue berries and some mocha notes. A slight hint of warmth and some tannins on the finish suggest some more time would do well by this wine.

2004 Lafond Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills Arita Hills Vineyard. The nose is like smelling candy--with sweet cherry syrup, powdered blueberry and a general mixed berry tang thang going on. It’s just a lot of fun to sniff, and it’s actually pretty engaging. In the mouth, it is soft and silky with some tightly wound tannins present. The finish is a bit drying and carries through with the tannins. My first experience with this winery—a nice surprise.

2005 Kutch Pinot Noir Russian River Valley. I have some in the cellar, so was excited when I saw it on the table—affording an early look at this first release. The nose is dominated by strawberries right now and shows a bit of an elevated alcohol note. On the palate, it has a pleasing elegance and refined tang to its red fruit and spices, but the finish again shows some heat. I’ll hold mine a while longer, with high hopes.

2003 Mount Eden Vineyards Pinot Noir Santa Cruz Mountains. I found a certain leafy/stemmy quality to the nose on this wine to go along with its red fruits, chocolate and hints of earth. It is medium-bodied, with bright red fruits on the palate, and it finishes with sour cherry flavors and a hit of acid.

2004 Alesia Syrah Chileno Valley. Somebody else will have to finish this tasting note, as I mistakenly dumped this glass when I meant to dump another one. My note says: “Aromas of coffee grounds and beef blood…” That’s it.

2004 Carlisle Syrah Bennett Valley Judge Family Vineyard. Deep dark red color. Nose of dark berries and bark. Juicy dark fruits in the mouth with lots of spices. It seems a bit spritzy on the finish, where some wood and tannins kick in. Overall, very good palate presence and find length and persistence on the finish. This feels like it is holding a fair amount in reserve. I’d wait.

Mystery Wine. OK, so at some point during the evening, one of the attendees begins pimping this bagged bottle around the table. I am urged to try it and we all spend a fair amount of time trying to get a handle on it. My note reads: “Dark cherry and a hint of dark earth on the nose. Chunky and chewy in the mouth, with plum, iron and a roasted fruit quality. Soft around the edges and turning flabby with air. The finish has nice spiciness, but dissipates relatively quickly.” Guesses at my end of the table were primarily Syrah/Southern Rhone. The wine is revealed as the 1998 E. Guigal Cotes du Rhone. I guess the wine is OK and we all had a little chuckle, but I want that 15 minutes of brain expenditure back!

-Michael