The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: quick notes on Northern Rhone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

WTN: quick notes on Northern Rhone

by Peter Ruhrberg » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:57 am

A wonderful line up put together by president Markus. How does he do it, while feeding his family and buidling a house?

Gaillard St Josef les Cuminailles 2001
modern but in a restarined and classy way. nice harmony of elements, good acids, just a hint of wood in the finish. a joy to drink now.

T Allemand Cornas Chaillot 1996
a bit reductive on the nose. old cheese, olives, metal, kapers, gets more and more intriguing with time/air. very old school. firmly built, excellent structure, very long. plenty of potential here. I like it a lot.

Ogier Cote Rotie 1996
nose is nicely transparent, floral note, opens up beatifully. starts a bit more generous in the mouth than the Cornas, but does not follow through in the mid palate. not so much potential, but a fine CR.

Clusel Roch Cote Rotie 1999
meaty notes, violets, spices, but still reserved. the palate has it all, in the right proportions. give it more time. one of the top wines of the tasing.

H. Gallet Cote Rotie 1990
fully mature, with notes of black olives and broth. generous on the palate with beautiful harmony, resolved tannins. drink now. another top wine.

E Texier Hermitage 2000
change of style from CR to Hermitage. more "bass", darker color and darker fruit. blueberrys and herbs. firm acids, but not the elegance of the CRs. potential is there for more.

M. Sorrel Hermitage le Greal 2001
sweet fruit, wood, very ripe, low acid, noticable alcohol. I don't need this. some like it though.

Jaboulet Hermitage la Chapelle 1996
somewhat reductive, spicey, closed on the nose. firmly built, minerality and acidity. quite a contrast to the Sorrel. impressive and I much prefer it. plenty of potential here. given the low rep. of la Chapelle in recent vintages, this is a very positive surprise to me.

J.L. Chave Hermitage 1994
suffers from following the more concentrated Chapelle. abeautiful Hermitage for a small year. lovely olive and floral notes, anf harmony. drink soonish.

F Villard Condrieu le grand Vallon 2004
oaky. lacks grip. not my cup of tea.

P- Gaillard Condrieu Fleur d'Automne 2001
hedonistic, excotic fruit, very sexy sweety. not the cut and depth of a nobly sweet Riesling, but fun nevertheless.

Wrap up: a lot a very fine wines here. As much as I like the Cornas and the 2 Hermitage, it confirmed to me again that Cote Rotie is my holy grail for Syrah.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Ruhrberg on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: TN: quick notes on Northern Rhone

by Florida Jim » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:00 am

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:T Allemand Cornas Chaillot 1996
a bit reductive on the nose. old cheese, olives, metal, kapers, gets more and more intriguing with time/air. very old school. firmly built, excellent structure, very long. plenty of potential here. I like it a lot.

The Reynard is also expressive and very authentic in that vintage, although both, I think, need a little more time to take the edge of the acidity.
Clusel Roch Cote Rotie 1999
meaty notes, violets, spices, but still reserved. the palate has it all, in the right proportions. give it more time. one of the top wines of the tasing.

This is good to hear; I have had some Grande Places bottlings of late that were pretty oaky.
E Texier Hermitage 2000
change of style from CR to Hermitage. more "bass", darker color and darker fruit. blueberrys and herbs. firm acids, but not the elegance of the CRs. potential is there for more.

I wish you'd have had the 99 Cote-Rotie VV from Texier to compare all these wines with. Truly stellar juice.
His 99 Hermitage was also delicious and not as acidic as the 2000.

Thanks for the notes.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

Re: TN: quick notes on Northern Rhone

by Peter Ruhrberg » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:28 am

Florida Jim wrote: I have had some Grande Places bottlings of late that were pretty oaky.
I wish you'd have had the 99 Cote-Rotie VV from Texier to compare all these wines with. Truly stellar juice.
His 99 Hermitage was also delicious and not as acidic as the 2000.

Sounds like they are fishing for points with the Grande Places. I'm happy to stick to the regular CR. I think I had the Texier Hermitage 99 some years back, but not the CR vv. I'd love to try that one.

Peter