The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Bodegas Monastrell Tinto Murcia Yecla Spain. Great QPR.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2005 Bodegas Monastrell Tinto Murcia Yecla Spain. Great QPR.

by Bob Ross » Sun May 27, 2007 10:32 pm

2005 Bodegas Monastrell Tinto Murcia Yecla Spain. http://www.bodegascastano.com/ 100% Monastrell. $5.49 at Wine Library, Springfield, NJ. Imported by Polaner Selections, Mount Kisco. Deep red color, deep hue, very good aroma of berries and cherries, very good tastes of cherries, spice and earthen notes, medium mouth feel, good tannins, somewhat out of balance with the acidity, medium long finish with good fruit, spice and earth notes. 3*.

It's been several years since I've considered Parker's scores or notes, but I read a shelf talker indicating this was a Parker 90 rated by Jay Miller. My first Jay Miller note -- not counting the NYC legend Jay Miller, of course -- and the other Jay Miller was right on the money with review. And, it is a great QPR. Good enough that I'm considering it as my summer wine -- six weeks drinking only one wine. It may be a little simple, but that "Yecla" is almost irresistible.

Regards, Bob

Notes: 90 Points - Jay Miller - The Wine Advocate. "The 2005 Monastrell is an insane value produced from three vineyard sites ranging in age from 40-60 years. Opaque purple-colored, it gives up fragrant aromas of blue fruits, plums, and prunes. Ripe, layered, and full-flavored, this hedonistic effort can be enjoyed now but will surely evolve for 2-3 years. Match it with beef and lamb."

Mourvedre - A native of Spain (where it is known as Monsatrell) this grape is the second leading red grape variety after Grenache in Spain. It is also popular in southern France and growing in California. This grape grows well in warmer regions, and is often high in alcohol and tannins making it a good blending grape.

Polaner: Bodegas Castaño has quickly become the quality leader in the newly rediscovered apellation of Yecla. Yecla is located in the south-eastern side of Spain, next to Jumilla and Allicante. Like it's neighbors, the warm climate of Yecla is perfect for the growing of the Monastrell grape (Mourvèdre). Fortunately, much of the appellation was spared the wrath of Philloxera, and extremely old, ungrafted vines of Monastrell remain offering amazing potential for quality, while still at amazingly affordable prices.

It has not been an easy task for the Castaños. In the 19th century, nearly everyone in Yecla was making wine, but today, just three bodegas survive (one of them is the town co-op). The fourth and fifth generations of the family are now mapping out the future with Ramón Castaño at the helm, placing the utmost emphasis on producing quality wine.
The family's holdings now cover 350 hectares (770 acres) in Yecla, spread out over three sub-zones of the appellation (Las Gruesas, Espinal and Pozuelo). The average elevation of the vineyards is between 300 and 700 meters. Their soils are composed of varying amounts of limestone and clay, so the grapes naturally retain their acidity as they mature.The diversity of climate and soils allows for varying styles of Monastrell that form the basis for the different cuvees produced at the estate.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 2005 Bodegas Monastrell Tinto Murcia Yecla Spain. Great QPR.

by James Roscoe » Mon May 28, 2007 11:16 am

Bob, great note. I have become a fan of some of the Monestrells coming out of Spain. If they have your endorsement, that's a plus. Of course if the REAL Jay Miller endorses them (the NYC Jay) that helps too.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Wed May 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Bob Ross wrote:A native of Spain (where it is known as Monsatrell) this grape is the second leading red grape variety after Grenache in Spain.

Basically incorrect data. The most widely planted red variety in Spain, by far, is tempranillo (in 2007). The No. 2 ranked is the little-known bobal.
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Wed May 30, 2007 7:08 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:A native of Spain (where it is known as Monsatrell) this grape is the second leading red grape variety after Grenache in Spain.

Basically incorrect data. The most widely planted red variety in Spain, by far, is tempranillo (in 2007). ...

But it has a number of "pseudonyms" - Tnto del Pais, Tinto Fino, Ull de Llebre, Cencibel, Tinta de Toro, Tinta Roriz, Aragonêz ... and probably several others

I am great fan of Monastrell. I have a bottle of Sparkling Monastrell, La Pamelita, produced by Scottish winemaker Pamela Geddes.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed May 30, 2007 7:48 pm

Thanks, Victor. I should have checked that reference more carefully before posting that information. Regards, Bob