The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Larrivet Haut Brion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2000 Larrivet Haut Brion

by Jason Hagen » Mon May 28, 2007 11:55 pm

2000 Chateau Larrivet Haut Brion Pessac-Leognan
This wine is still a baby and uninvolved. Subtle earth, leather and dried fruits on the nose. This is just a young/mid-aged Bordeaux. These rarely excite me at this stage. The wine seems to have the stuffing to mature into a beauty. The background fruit is hidden by the acids and tannin. The finish is long but at this stage the wine doesn’t excite me. I will wait another 7-10 years before popping another. I am hopeful that this wine will be worth the wait.

Jason
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2000 Larrivet Haut Brion

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 29, 2007 2:28 am

Thanks for the note! I had one of these earlier this month, and it seemed fairly ripe, complex, open, and interesting. Your note makes me think I coulda-shoulda waited! Still-I really did enjoy it, and I was planning on buying another bottle. Maybe put it down this time? It didn't seem "closed," but the potential is there!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue May 29, 2007 9:51 am

Brian K Miller wrote:I was planning on buying another bottle. Maybe put it down this time? It didn't seem "closed," but the potential is there!

I agree the wine is not "closed". It is showing well, particularly with food. I just think it will be more "interesting" down the road. I had the 98 recently as well and it was showing well too. Nice wines and it looks like they have held their prices.

Cheers,
Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 30, 2007 8:59 am

This wine is still a baby and uninvolved.

So it would be free to date if only it were old enough? :) Sounds promising. This is a Bordeaux I've yet to have any vintage of, and one I keep telling myself to buy. Every time I read a TN, I think "that's my kind of wine." Btw, didn't realize you were into Bordeaux.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 30, 2007 10:43 am

Like I think I've mentioned, this wine was recommended to me by a wine shop in Kensigton, CA that introduced me to affordable Bordeaux, and I trust their taste.

The only caveat: the INFAMOUS :lol: M. Rolland is involved with this wine. Still-it tasted nothing like a New World Cab to me. :)

I will definitely be making a stop on Arlington Blvd to pick up a couple more!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed May 30, 2007 10:52 am

Jenise wrote: Btw, didn't realize you were into Bordeaux.

I dabble :) This is probably the last vintage I bought a lot of. I always pick up a few to keep in the cellar...or to wedge in between the Pinot/Burg bottles so that they don't fall :) I do love "old world" Bordeaux ... but man they take a long time to show the special stuff.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed May 30, 2007 10:57 am

Brian K Miller wrote:The only caveat: the INFAMOUS :lol: M. Rolland is involved with this wine. Still-it tasted nothing like a New World Cab to me. :)

Oh yeah...I forgot to disclose that. I am not sure what year he came on...I am thinking late 90s...ahhh I really don't know. But as you say, I don't think this 2000 is a dead ringer for a Rolland wine. Nor was the 98 IMHO. They are more like a relatively forward “old world” Bordeaux.

Jason