The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Freemark Abbey Library Tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN Freemark Abbey Library Tasting

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 29, 2007 2:47 am

The nice thing about having every other Friday off is you cann hit a winery on a quiet, non-weekend day. Yet another bicycle ride spent exploring the amazing backroads immediately west of Saint Helena town, Calistoga backroads, Diamond Mountain Road, etc. I made one stop this time: Freemark Abbey Winery north of Saint Helena. I think I was their first taster (around 11:00).

As I've become a wine nut only recently, I've not had a lot of chances to taste older cabs. So, any enthusiasm may reflect my lack of experience, but I enjoyed these wines quite a bit!

They started with the 1982-I beleive Sycamore?, which was very bright red fruit, still a lot of acidity, some nice tobacco notes. Not the big black Napa wines of today! Very interesting **1/2

The 1991 Boshe Vineyard was quite lovely. Very good fruit remaining, with again the red raspberry/current/higher acidity. Somewhat reticent nose, though. ***

The 1993 Sycamore Vineyard was my favorite of the flight. Big juicy blackberry/current/leather/tobacco on the nose, which followed through smartly on the palette. I really enjoyed this wine, with its sense of balance, refreshing acidity, and my preferrence for a darker, richer fruit that avoids harsh jamminess. Restrained oak, to my palette at least? ****

1998 Boshe was the QPR winner. Lovely-with a very similar flavor profile to the 1993, albeit not quite as evolved and complex. Because it's one of the dreaded 1998s, they were fire selling it for $35 a bottle-a steal imo. I came back and bought two. I've actually enjoyed the 1998s I've tried. Still, if money were no object, I might buy the 1993. But, $$$$$$. :cry:
***1/2, maybe **** given the price!

Finally, I know I'm supposed to :) prefer the crispness of steel, less oaked chardonnay, and I do, but the oaked, malolactic 2002 Chardonnay had layers and layers of interesting flavors-caramel, tropical fruit, banana?? peach, vanilla. Stuff I don't like in red wines! This is almost a "dessert wine," but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN Freemark Abbey Library Tasting

by Jenise » Tue May 29, 2007 1:17 pm

Brian, Freemark Abbey is one of Napa's most underappreciated wineries. It's been there forever making those gorgeous, sturdy, traditional reds that age with much grace, yet never seem to get their due in the press. Nice to hear the 93 Sycamore is doing well, a wine I owned and have drunk up. Best ever, though? The '75 Bosche, about three years ago.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 29, 2007 2:17 pm

I may dump one of my current wine clubs (The Imagery wines were underwhelming last month- a harsh, fruity, jammy Merlot, and a mediocre Petit Sirah).

Freemark Abbey may be the replacement. Their shipments are expensive, though. :P
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Their wines frequently show up at auction, Brian. Might be a better way to go than joining the club. I paid $19 for the 99 Bosche, if you can believe that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue May 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Who is running the winery now? Who is the owner? Any details? There have been a plethora of problems with the winery and the finances. I really haven't kept up with the turnover there. I know they jettisoned some old time employees.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 29, 2007 8:26 pm

From what I recall, one or two of the partners have passed away, but the managing partner is still one of the original partners and the winemaker.

Looking at Cellar Tracker, the reviews are all over the map. I hope I got a good pair of bottles. :cry:

I did not taste a lot of green notes in the 1998 Bosche at all-and I am very sensitive to "green pepper" notes in Cab (increasingly, I say "bleh" to unbalanced green pepper). On the other hand, if one is used to the really, really ripe style dominant in Napa right now, their wines are pretty lean. (Like Merryvale?)

Cellartracker is kinda interesting, I have to admit.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue May 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:From what I recall, one or two of the partners have passed away, but the managing partner is still one of the original partners and the winemaker.

Looking at Cellar Tracker, the reviews are all over the map. I hope I got a good pair of bottles. :cry:

I did not taste a lot of green notes in the 1998 Bosche at all-and I am very sensitive to "green pepper" notes in Cab (increasingly, I say "bleh" to unbalanced green pepper). On the other hand, if one is used to the really, really ripe style dominant in Napa right now, their wines are pretty lean. (Like Merryvale?)

Cellartracker is kinda interesting, I have to admit.

Wines have been very erratic, I don't have any experience with the ones you bought. The winery has been purchased by some fairly large corporation. I'll check for details when I run into somebody in the know.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Tue May 29, 2007 11:33 pm

I believe the winery was purchased about a year ago to Kendall Jackson. It is part of their premium wine group along with Cardinale.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 30, 2007 10:47 am

Interesting, Michael. That's not emphasized on their website, for sure. :wink:

To be honest, though, if any large corporation is going to purchase them, then I'm somewhat happy it's Kendall Jackson. I think Jess Jackson has some great winemakers on staff. To my limited experience, K-J's "Premium" wines are some of my definite favorites-Verite, Cardinale, Matanzas Creek. (Even if I can't afford to buy as many of their really pricey stuff they sell as I would like) I've not had any experience, though, with their budget and moderate lineup.