The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2002 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 29, 2007 8:14 pm

2002 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (5/29/2007)
In the mood for something crisp and refreshing I pulled this. Be careful what you ask for...

Rainwater on rocks, polished steel and crisp green apple armotics give way to barely off-dry, mineral dense, lime and apple skin flavors. This is about as austere as good, young kabinett gets, and delicious for all its lack of exuberance.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: 2002 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett

by David Lole » Wed May 30, 2007 1:26 am

Here, here!

I just love this guy's work (your's too, DMB :wink: ) The 1997 Spatlese we opened last month was as perfect a spatlese I've tried in many, many years.

My note FWIW -

Fritz Haag Brauneberger-Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese 1997 - almost impossibly good youthful bright pale green colour; fantastic haunting aromatics of white citrus flowers, slate, lemon merangue, a lttle redcurrant, a whiff of light toast, perhaps the merest hint of emerging petrol then kicks back with probing notes of white nectarine and lime. Wow, what a great journey and still so impressively fresh and vibrant for a 10 year old! In the mouth, this wine jumps to an even higher plane - as we sit in the temperate stillness of a sunny Canberra afternoon, this just glides through the mouth with such purity, perfect symmetry and mind-boggling delineation. The M-S-R thumbprint of counterbalancing sweetness and acid cut could not be better exemplified here. There's plenty of punch but beautifully bridled by an awesome line - add the sleekness of pristine ripe fruit, the raciness, the minerality, the balance and you have a very special wine indeed. Perhaps the ambience just made this better than it really is, but I'm not worried about giving it 94 points and WOTD. And it will last for donkey's! 7.5% A/V
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed May 30, 2007 10:02 am

I have three bottles of the 2002 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Spatlese and have been thinking of opening the first bottle this summer.
What is the advice of the Davids? I might be able to keep one for further maturing but I doubt that I can retain all three for an extended number of years.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 30, 2007 10:58 am

2002s are drinking well now with some air. I would open one.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 am

Thanks, David. That's the encouraging answer I wanted.