The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An Italian Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: An Italian Syrah

by Saina » Thu May 31, 2007 2:50 pm

Act 1; In Alko:

Me: "Do you have anything interesting from N. Rhone?"

The only Alko shopkeeper who understands wines: "No!" [laughs wickedly]

Me: "Bummer. I'll go and open up a Texier again - they are disappearing at an alarming rate."

Alko-man: "I do have an Italian, you would like, though."

Me: "Spoofy, and horribly oaky and nasty and vile?"

A-m: "No. It tastes like Syrah."

Me: " ' " (=the grapheme for the Arabic letter " 'ayin " - a glottal stop, which here signifies surprise and ensuing speechlessness)

A-m: "Seriously - it is tart and fruitless and earthy. You'll love it."

Act 2: At home over a chunk of meat braised in red wine:
TN: Tenimenti Luigi d'Alessandro Cortona Syrah 2004 13,5% c.18€

Well, A-m was right, it is pretty nice. Red berried and earthy with pure Syrah fruit - but also a bit more oak that he let on, but not annoying amounts. The palate is nicely structured with rather youthful tannins, moderate acidity and lovely, true Syrah fruit. I have a recollection of tasting their Bosco and I didn't like that, but this basic Syrah seems very fair indeed and very true to the grape and very food friendly. A pity the price is IMO a bit on high for the quality (very like the Texier Brézème and that costs a fraction of this). Buy again? At this price, I'll try not to, but I have little will power so I guess I'll go through one or two over the summer.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: WTN: An Italian Syrah

by Paulo in Philly » Thu May 31, 2007 2:56 pm

(singing)

Que SYRAH, SYRAH...! Whatever will be, will be.....! The future's not ours to see, que SYRAH, SYRAAAH!!!

Sorry... just felt a song come to me with your post! 8)
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu May 31, 2007 5:53 pm

I suspect Syrah could do quite nicely in Italy, especially after tasting a stunning Isole e Olena 1994 Syrah a few weeks ago. Reassuringly the wine shouted Italy louder than it shouted Syrah (or Shiraz).

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:10 am

I have a Ciacci Fabius Syrah to try. Probably won't get to it until late summer or fall but I am fond of the Ciacci Ateo (non-traditional blended red) so have high hopes.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:18 am

Syrah seems to be all the rage in Sicily now. Warmer region than Tuscany to be sure, but thankfully, the few Sicilian samples I've tried don't seem to be hewing to the "Shiraz" model.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:39 pm

Speaking just for myself, the interesting thing about Italy is the hundreds of indigenous varieties; my sense is that there is a movement in Italy towards rescuing and promoting these varieties, rather than exotics like Syrah.

That said, Isole e Olena has made a very nice Syrah in the past.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:59 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:Speaking just for myself, the interesting thing about Italy is the hundreds of indigenous varieties; my sense is that there is a movement in Italy towards rescuing and promoting these varieties, rather than exotics like Syrah.

Depends on which producers you're looking at and what you're drinking from Sicily, Oliver.

For every grower/producer trying to champion the autochthonous (hey, I just love spelling that word) there is another (or two or three) busily cultivating and adding syrah to the blend.

I personally think syrah would be a good grape in Sicily..well, certain parts...as it is a variety that will do fairly well in different climes. But, like you, I wish the indigenous grapes could and would be championed.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:08 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:Speaking just for myself, the interesting thing about Italy is the hundreds of indigenous varieties; my sense is that there is a movement in Italy towards rescuing and promoting these varieties, rather than exotics like Syrah.

Yes - I second Oliver! One cannot get bored in Italy with all the numerous varieties. On my last trip to Umbria I had a Trebbiano Spoletino sparkling wine - first time I saw this after going to the region for 24 years! Along with the numerous varieties is the diversity in style and oak treatment. I tend not to drink Italian Syrahs just because I am usually going nuts over the local sangiovese and sagrantino varieties. I have had Sicilian syrahs and agree that it is the place to look for.

So many wines, so little time for this lifetime!!!! :roll:
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:25 pm

Hoke wrote:Depends on which producers you're looking at and what you're drinking from Sicily, Oliver.

For every grower/producer trying to champion the autochthonous (hey, I just love spelling that word) there is another (or two or three) busily cultivating and adding syrah to the blend.

I personally think syrah would be a good grape in Sicily..well, certain parts...as it is a variety that will do fairly well in different climes. But, like you, I wish the indigenous grapes could and would be championed.

The time lag in planting vines means such ships turn very slowly, Hoke, but I would say that it's the other way 'round, at least from what I saw at the Sicily pavilion at Vinitaly. Planeta was the obvious example of the 'Australian-Chardonnay-grown-in-Sicily' school, but that project was started in a very different climate.

I could be projecting what I think should happen onto what is in fact happening, but I don't think so.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:15 pm

That, too, is what excites me more than anything from Italy. And then see what some of those varieties can do in Calif as well.
Tom
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Yup....

by Saina » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:16 pm

I'm usually a bit of a purist in earthy matters, but I still liked this. It was much like a cheaper but well made N. Rhone.

-o-(trying for once not to be too dogmatic)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.