The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: When nice wines happen to bad vintages (CdR, Tosc IGT)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

WTN: When nice wines happen to bad vintages (CdR, Tosc IGT)

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu May 31, 2007 4:17 pm

Domaine Charvin “Le Poutet” Cotes du Rhone 2003

Oh no! The geek-despised ’03 vintage! Medium ruby, a bit cloudy. Light, fresh raspberries on the nose, backed by ripe strawberries and some flowers. Clean, pretty palate, with more ripe red and black berries and a touch of pie crust. Snappy acidity and good tannic grip. Maybe a wee bit burnt around the edges, but delicious with and without food. I had a glass at a party, and liked it a lot, so the host sent what was left home with me. Price unknown (but based on wine-searcher, probably $15-20). 14% alcohol.

Barone Ricasoli “Formulae” 2002 (Toscana IGT)

Oh, no! The rainy, miserable Italian ’02 vintage! Inky, medium-dark purple, nearly opaque. Black cherry perfume and foresty smells. Plum and other dark fruit flavors, with meat, bark, and tar notes on a medium-bodied frame. Juicy acidity and soft, slow tannins on a somewhat short finish. Named to honor the inventor of the classic formula for Chianti, which is a little ironic since this is supposedly 100% Sangiovese. It’s the entry-level wine from the Ricasoli / Brolio folks, whose lineup I’ve usually found underwhelming. Not this time. Declassified juice from better Ricasoli / Brolio vineyards? Unusually mature flavors an unintended consequence of the blue plastic cork? Dunno, but this has become my house red. Hope my local supply of this vintage can last a little longer. $10. 13% alcohol.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: When nice wines happen to bad vintages (CdR, Tosc IGT)

by Randy Buckner » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:58 am

Oh no! The geek-despised ’03 vintage!

If you're going to drink '03 Rhone, go south young man, go south. The south fared much better than the north IMHO. That said, there are very few 03s in my cellar.