The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lunch W/ Dietz, A to Z, Tandem, St Innocent & Swan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: Lunch W/ Dietz, A to Z, Tandem, St Innocent & Swan

by Jason Hagen » Thu May 31, 2007 5:53 pm

So Dietz came by the office to pick up some wine and we agreed we should pop a few things so we could evaluate. So I walked over to The Hat to pick up some food and then we poured the libations. Here are some crappy notes. Hopefully Dietz will add some thoughts.

2005 A to Z Pinot Noir Oregon
At $16 I thought it would worth a try. I opened the night before. Poured me and my wife a glass and the first thing I noticed was the ripe fruity nose. Smelled like Cali Pinot. On the palate the first splash of fruit was immediately crushed by the heat and alcohol. I decided to pour most of into a 290 ml bottle and stuck it in the wine fridge. The rest I brought to lunch. I have to say with food on the first evening it calmed down. Seemed to smooth out and was enjoyable. The next day with food it seemed to show more layers and the heat was still tamed by the food. A pretty good value but it was quite ripe and big. All report back when I drink the rest.

2002 Tandem Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Sonoma
Ohhh…this is a stinky wine. Not normal Sangiacomo stinky. The nose is not very pleasant. Somewhat stewed and sour. A big wine but it does have solid acids. A lot of bright fruit. Seems like I should like it but in the end I am not crazy about it. Didn’t show much more with the food. Just can’t get a handle on this one. Maybe on another day I would enjoy it more.

2005 St Innocent Temperance Hill Oregon

I normally dislike wines from this vineyard. I wasn’t too happy when it showed up in my club shipment but at $23 it was worth another try. I immediately liked the nose. Hmmm…doesn’t smell like previous vintages. Very nice. I poured a small glass and left the bottle open for a few hours. When Jim showed up I thought is was showing nicely. With the food it was awesome. Right down the middle of the palate came a tasty cinnamon spice mixed with dark cherries and other red berries. The wine did have a slight green streak that I would have guessed was from stems but I know that Mark does not use stems. I don’t know what added that element but it was nice. As the day went on the wine definitely put on wait. This is a big wine for an SI but it has plenty of balance and perfect acidity. I preferred this to the Villages Cuvee.

2003 Joseph Swan Syrah Trenton Estate RRV
My first Swan syrah. I don’t know what it is about this wine but I love it. Have not had too many RRV syrahs so I don’t know if it RRV or wine-making or both but it has this delicious candied red berry thing right through the middle. If I read that description I would think that is not for me…but …I like it! This may not be a syrah I want to drink everyday but I do want more. Soft tannins. I didn’t find anything harsh with this wine. Almost like a tanninless CdP. Hmmm. Any other thoughts on this wine?

Peace,

Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Lunch W/ Dietz, A to Z, Tandem, St Innocent & Swan

by James Dietz » Thu May 31, 2007 7:07 pm

I don't know, Jason.. Here I thought you were on your way to Houston or something.. and instead you are posting on wines left and right.

God, those pastrami sandwiches from The Hat are to die for.. literally... why do I eat the whole thing? It must weigh 1 1/2 pounds.. jeez.. you're killing me!!

Nice to sit with just a few bottles and go back and forth.

The A to Z, which I had never heard of, was hot and not very bright... The nose smelled like candied fruit.. really candied.. I liked it better near the end of the lunch, but I don't think it compares with other stuff priced a couple of bucks more (like the St. Innocent VC, for example)

I couldn't agree more on the Tandem. My second time with this bottle, and the first was way better. The nose funk was close to being off-putting in the extreme... I found the wine too chunky, with the mocha/chocolate/toastiness.. I wonder if this might have had some storage issues before I got it.

The SI Temprance tasted stemmy or a bit green and had a little of the Pinot funk at the beginning. But I did like it. The balance of red fruit and acidity was terrific.. and later that night, the funk was gone (or I didn't perceive it anymore) and the fruit seemed even brighter. A very very nice Pinot.

The Swan Trenton Syrah seemed a little stewed to me at times, but among those Pinots, it seemed at home. It was not like a bull in a china shop at all. In fact, it was lighter on its feet than the Tandem. I really like the more restrained style that Swan wines seem to show... but then.. RRV fruit does seem to hit my palate better than some others... This is another winery that Ms. Stone long had told me to try... and as usual, she was right.
Cheers, Jim