The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WR: Has anyone heard of LAFIOLE Cdp?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Cohen

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Toronto

WR: Has anyone heard of LAFIOLE Cdp?

by David Cohen » Thu May 31, 2007 6:40 pm

A friend called and said her friend has what looks like a very old bottle of this wine. It has a french tax number but no vintage. When I googled, I noticed the only place that sells it shows a bottle that is blown to make it appear hand made. No details what so ever.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

David
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WR: Has anyone heard of LAFIOLE Cdp?

by Bob Ross » Thu May 31, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi David,

I posted a note on this wine three years ago:

Dinner with David, Robin, Ted and Janet. NV Père Anselme La Fiole du Pape Chateauneuf du Pape Rhone France. Released in 2000; various undisclosed vintages. 80% Grenache, 7% Syrah, 7% Mourvédre and 6% Cinsault. $37 at at Il Villino Ristorante in Waldwick, New Jersey. Light red color; light hue; pleasant aroma of red fruits, a bit of spice and some earthen notes; very good red fruit tastes, well balanced with soft tannins and good structure; light mouth feel; long, pleasant fruit and spice finish. This wine lasted for over an hour and went well with steak, lamb and rare tuna entrees – delicate and yet persistent fruit throughout the evening. Well received by a very tough crowd. 4*.

There were a few responses to the post, basically saying that this wasn't really a CdP and making the legitimate point that it was designed as a "tourist's wine" by Anselme in the 1950's. It's NV, but you can figure out the release date by some info on the label -- if it's important, I'll check out a bottle and tell you how to do so.

There's a good history here.

The website is pretty good, as well, and the CdP museum is well worth visiting. http://www.brotte.com/la-fiole-du-pape_us.htm

This is said to be the best selling CdP in the world, so don't pay too much for either the wine or the bottle. Another one will be around soon. :-) Runs around $25 in my area at retail; the $35 restaurant price is also pretty common.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WR: Has anyone heard of LAFIOLE Cdp?

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Pére Anselme, the producer of La Fiole, is a large, commercial operation that runs a somewhat interesting museum in CdP proper. As Bob says, it is a tourist wine and the faux handmade bottles are quite hokey IMO (no offense, Hoke). The wine tends to be medium weight, fruit forward and not ageworthy, but one made in a good year will probably survive without harm for a few years.

Mark Lipton