The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Pierre et Catherine Breton Bourgueil Les Galichets France.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2005 Pierre et Catherine Breton Bourgueil Les Galichets France.

by Bob Ross » Thu May 31, 2007 10:55 pm

2005 Pierre et Catherine Breton Bourgueil Les Galichets Loire Valley France. 12% alcohol. 100% Cabernet Franc. Chambers Street Wine, $21.99. Lyle/Asimov bottle. Imported by Louis/Dressner, New York.

Deep red color, deep hue, lovely fruit and spice aroma, excellent fruit tastes with very good spice notes and a mineral background, medium mouth feel, smooth tannins, beautifully balanced with fruit and mild acidity, long single note finish of blended fruit, spice and earthen and mineral notes. Delicious -- a very easy drinking wine with no oak. 4*.

Notes:

http://www.louisdressner.com/Breton/

Bourgueil from Pierre and Catherine Breton

Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley is finally receiving long overdue respect. Remarkably juicy, textured, versatile with food, and immensely age worthy, the Cabernet Franc wines of Bourgueil, Chinon, Saumur and St-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil are both a traditional staple and a rediscovered rage on the Paris bistro/wine bar scene. Chief among the best Loire red winemakers is Pierre Breton (whose last name is also the name for Cabernet Franc in the local dialect.)

Pierre and Catherine Breton’s wines are served at virtually every hot wine bar in Paris. Pierre makes several cuvées from various vineyard sites and his cuvée of plain Bourgueil [i.e. Les Galichets] is his most accessible wine, meant for immediate drinking pleasure. Breton calls it a “wine of fruit” for this precise reason, and vinifies it in stainless-steel. This wine comes from small yields of 32 hectoliters/hectare and is bottled unfiltered.

He makes two very special types of Bourgueil. The first, Trinch!, (In French, this is the sound of two classes clinking) is a wine for drinking immediately, chilled not cold. It is delicate and refreshing with an uncanny ability to go well with a range of food, but with salmon it is a perfect match. The second is called "Nuits d'Ivresse", or The Drunken Nights, is from a selection of fruit that is vinified completely without the use of any sulfur, according to the vinifcation principals outlined by the late Jules Chauvet. There is a tiny amount added before the bottling to keep the wine stable in shipping, but it is so minimal as to be undetectable in testing.

His other cuvées are vinified according to their character (defined mainly by the soil and the vines’ age). Bourgueil les Galichets, from 50-year-old vines on gravely soil, Chinon les Moulins de Beaupuy (8 years) and Chinon Beaumont (50 years), from clay and limestone, are made in stainless-steel vats. Bourgueil Clos Sénéchal (15 and 30 years, clay and limestone over tufa) is vinified in steel vats and aged in barrels for 5 months. Bourgueil les Perrières (50 years, on clay and silica over limestone), Bourgueil Grandmont (35 years average, on clay and limestone) and Chinon les Picasses are fermented and aged in barriques for 20 months. The age of the oak barriques varies, and some new wood is used for the biggest wines.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: 2005 Pierre et Catherine Breton Bourgueil Les Galichets France.

by Randy Buckner » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:46 am

Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley is finally receiving long overdue respect. Remarkably juicy, textured, versatile with food, and immensely age worthy, the Cabernet Franc wines of Bourgueil, Chinon, Saumur and St-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil are both a traditional staple and a rediscovered rage on the Paris bistro/wine bar scene.

I always enjoy these wines when I try them, yet I do not have a single bottle in the cellar. I don't know why that is -- perhaps because they are overshadowed by other regions. Thanks for the reminder to fill a gap in the cellar.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:24 am

I have only had the opportunity to sample the Trinch!, and I loved it. That reminds me ... I have one bottle in the VinoTemp and should drink it soon.

Thanks for the reminder, and for the informative notes.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:39 am

I attended a Cab Franc Around the World tasting, Randy, about six years ago -- Executive Wine Seminars in NYC. The Loire wines were so tight, and those from the US and Bordeaux showed so well, that I lost interest in those from the Loire.

Bob Millman tried very hard to get folks to give them another chance, but even though Buster is a very cute dog, I wasn't sold.

This two case sampling has re-introduced me to them, and they have shown beautifully. Shows the value of keeping an open mind in the wine world -- an often elsewhere. :-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Bob Ross wrote:This two case sampling has re-introduced me to them, and they have shown beautifully. Shows the value of keeping an open mind in the wine world -- an often elsewhere. :-)

Producers of red wine in the Loire may stand to benefit (for awhile) from global warming: this recent string of hot vintages has resulted in some fruitier, friendlier Cab Francs from there. Having said that, they still show best (IMO) with some airing or bottle age and service with food. They're fantastically versatile with food and I really enjoy the herbal/leafy character to the better examples.

Mark Lipton