The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three whites

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Three whites

by Florida Jim » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 am

1999 J.J. Prum, Riesling Spätlese Wehlener Sonnenuhr:
A.P. #2 576 511 12 00; okay, that’s it – I have had enough of this producer. This house may make towering wines that age forever but I don’t have the patience and the amount of SO2 used here is beyond my tolerance. Somewhere underneath it all, there were brief moments when I could catch a scent or distinguish a flavor that wasn’t sulphered beyond recognition but it wasn’t worth the effort. 7.5% alcohol, imported by Valkenberg Intnl. and I’ve forgotten the price, although it really doesn’t matter; if they were giving the stuff away I wouldn’t want it.

2005 Abad Dom Bueno, Godello:
The label describes this Bierzo white exactly: “Clear with a straw color and fresh herb, pineapple, and characteristic grapefruit aromas, lead into green spice and natural fruit flavors with bright acidity. The wine finishes with a soft, lingering citrus finish.” I’d add that it exhibits viscosity and is mouth-filling. Superb with tuna and white bean salad. 13% alcohol, imported by Frontier Wine and about $10; I’d buy it again.

2005 Daniel Dampt et Fils, Chablis:
Mineral driven but with bright, honeyed lemon fruit, good concentration, taut structure and typicité. It changed over time; got tighter, became more complex and added an herbal element. Not your typical village wine, as it has much more in common with this producer’s premier crus than with other AOC Chablis. And, much like its stable mates, needs time in the cellar. Very good with grilled chicken and grilled veggies. BTW, this house is noted for its all stainless steel operation and wines that are true vin de garde. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Grantham Distributing and about $18; I’d buy it again.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Three whites

by Sam Platt » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:12 am

Jim,

It hurts to hear about the '99 Prum WS Spat. I've been waiting patiently for someone to give me the thumbs up on the half case that I've got stored away. Looks like the wait will continue.

Thanks,
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Three whites

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:54 am

All it takes is a several hour decant. I have to do it all the time.

It is odd that in some vintages/wines the SO2 shows as a blanket over everything, but in others it's like it's not there at all. I know the regimen is always the same, so it is very surprising.

That said, I find it frustrating as well, just not quite as frustrating as Jim does.
Decisions are made by those who show up