The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Crios de Susana Balbo Mendoza Argentina. Great QPR.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2005 Crios de Susana Balbo Mendoza Argentina. Great QPR.

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:19 pm

2005 Crios de Susana Balbo Mendoza Argentina. 50% Syrah; 50% Bonarda. 13.5% alcohol. Andrea Robinson Wine Club. Imported by Vine Connections, Sausalito, CA. $15 -- but often found for $10 to $12. Great QPR.

Deep red color, deep hue, lovely aroma of spice, raspberries and smoky notes, apparently from the Bonarda, very good fruit, spice and smoke tastes, medium mouth feel, nice balance of mild tannins and good acidity, long finish. A very pretty wine, great with salmon or tuna. 4*. Great QPR. Neat label!

Notes: Crios means “offspring” (as in children). Susana selected a word to express the notion that these are wines that haven’t quite “grown up” to the same level of quality and maturity as her more expensive Susana Balbo label wines, but they receive the same loving care and attention throughout the winemaking process. The label features a series of three connected and overlapping hands, an image inspired by a Mayan artifact. The three hands represent Susana and her two children. http://www.dominiodelplata.com.ar/vinos_crios.php

What's the current thinking about Bonarda in Argentina? Apparently, "it's a name used for three different Italian varieties. In the northeastern reaches of the Veneto Bonarda is the local name for the Croatina, a red varietal that has fallen from favor but is still known for producing light and fruity red wines. Bonarda in South America may in fact be the Charbono of California." Any resolution?
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: WTN: 2005 Crios de Susana Balbo Mendoza Argentina. Great QPR.

by Alejandro Audisio » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:21 pm

Bob, if you liked this blend, make sure to check out the Crios Malbec and Malbec Rose labels... my guess is that you will also enjoy those.

Some of the best wines made by Susana are labeled under the Susana B label, her high end blend is called Brioso.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: 2005 Crios de Susana Balbo Mendoza Argentina. Great QPR.

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks, Alejandro. I liked both of her wines, which were new to me. After 21 years of winemaking, I finally found her. :(