The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bdx and Rioja with Paella

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bdx and Rioja with Paella

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:31 am

Friday was a long day at work, but I arrived home to find Betsy busily preparing filet mignon with a chard topping. I opened a bottle of 2004 Ch. La Fleur (St. Emilion). Pretty open right off the bat. Red plum and berry fruit, good texture, some mocha flavors. Nice ripe modern St. Emilion. With time the mocha morphs into more of a straight chocolate. Good length, a nice wine and well worth the $25, but maybe a little thin on the midpalate- and be prepared for lots of oak. B/B+

Saturday we made it down to the city to have dinner on the patio with Arv and Jen. An absolutely beautiful (and tasty!) paella, with langoustines, shrimp, and clams starring in the show.

Also some Moroccan-spiced cauliflower, salad, great cheeses and a dessert assortment. And wines:

1995 Lopez de Heredia "Vina Tondonia" Rosado (Rioja)
Every vintage of this I get a funny note, then one day someone said "onion skin" and it clicked. Onion skin, floral notes, strawberry and citrus notes. Just a hint of oxidative notes. I like this. B+

1996 Remirez de Ganuza (Rioja)
Brawny, manly man's Rioja. Modern,but not over the top. Oak is integrating nicely, cassis fruit. This would do well as a ringer in a Bordeaux tasting. B+

1996 Lopez de Heredia "Vina Bosconia" Reserve (Rioja)
High acids, light tannins, bright red fruit. Needs food. I like this, but for me to get excited over a LdH red usually needs it to be at least 15. B

2003 Alvear Pedrox Ximenz (Montilles)
Fig, quince paste, and caramel. Thick and viscous. Certainly complex, but every time I try a dessert sherry or relative I think "nice, but not for me." B-

A fine night, with great company (human, canine,and feline) and great eats.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency