The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Off-line with blind tastes from here and there

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Off-line with blind tastes from here and there

by Saina » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:44 pm

On Sunday we had a very nice off-line in Helsinki when Riccardo Camponati (from another board), a Brunello producer was in Helsinki with Siena Chamber of Commerce. We each bought a blind wine:

Arlaux Champagne Brut NV was a floral champagne with some mature and bisquitty elements also. The palate was crisp enough that I thought it a primarily Chardonnay blend. Very nice, if a touch simple, Champagne.

Domaine Labranche Laffont Pacherenc du Vic Bilh 2004 was a strange wine, but rather appealing - even to me! The reason for my surprise at liking the wine is that I thought the oak influence rather too obvious. But there was lovely citrussy and slightly funky fruit. It was very full bodied, but had lovely/high acidity and a refreshing bitter touch to the long finish. Rather charming. But for my taste would be stunning without the oak. ;)

Chateau Meyney 1994 is the famous Cru Bourgueois from St.-Estèphe. WARNING! Horrible generalisation ahead: '94, like '88, is a vintage that I tend to like tremendously: this is Claret, not CaliCab. The Meyney was just lovely! Earthy and red toned fruit, showing some maturity but perhaps needs a year or two to be in the spot where I like my Claret most. The palate has enough ripe fruit to suit me, but the overall impression is a savoury one. The acidity is on the higher side (for modern Bx vintages, that is) and there are still some tannins. A very charming wine.

Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino 2001 seemed rather modern to me with its very fruit forward nose of strawberry jam and only a touch of earth. Even when revealed, I had a difficult time finding any Brunellosity to it. The palate was more to my taste with its mouthwatering acidity coupled to savoury, red toned fruit. Some very nice elements, but at least in this young stage, I'm not too convinced by the nose.

Herzog Montepulciano 2004 is from Marlborough NZ! A massively fruity nose yet with a very appealing vegetal nuance also. It is very full bodied and has lots of sweet, red toned fruit to it. Unfortunately the level of ripeness is a bit much for me as is the toffee-like oak.

Umathum Frauenkirchner Vom Stein St. Laurent 2001 is from Burgenland - apparently one of the warmer areas of Austria. The nose is vegetal but with lots of almost Pinot-like fruit and great purity. The palate is sweetly fruit, seems like it is from a warm climate, but has both acidity and some vegetal nuances that keep the fruit in check. Very nice!

Masi Osar Veronese IGT 2000 is from an almost extinct grape, Oseleta. Sweet yet citrussy nose with redcurrants and red-apple and peach-kernel - very full on but savoury despite its "sweetness". The palate is very concentrated and full bodied but with quite a bit of tannin and much acidity - mouthwatering. It is rare for me to find a wine of such big proportions which brings pleasure, but the mouthwatering structure made it work.

Ciacci Piccolomini d'Argona Brunello di Montalcino Vigna di Pianrosso 1995 was a very nice BdM. Earthy/loamy and cherried. It is very bright and focused and refreshing and light on its feet despite having much fruit. Very nice!

Texier Brézème Côtes-du-Rhône 2004 was its usual charming self: peppery and red toned and N. Rhonish. Yummy.

Chateau Indage Ivy Shiraz 2003 is from somewhere in India. It is bretty and peppery with much fruit and a rather delectable tobacco note. The palate has some slight off-flavour - a little yeasty. It wasn't undrinkable, but it is a shame about the palate because I rather liked the very personal nose.

Then followed a drop of Cognac with a Partagas Serie D4 and a few too many beers, including a stunning and extremely hoppy Stadin A.P.A (i.e. American Pale Ale) which is brewed with some special hops or others from over the pond. It was a very nice evening and it was great to meet Riccardo but I didn't like getting up on Monday.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.