The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Perusini rocks!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Perusini rocks!

by Saina » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:31 pm

Helsinki had a little fair of all things Italian. I tasted a few nice olive oils and cheeses and hams but also a couple wines. Alessandria Dolcetto d'Alba 2004 was savoury and had nice tobacco nuances. It may not be the most acidic variety, but this was very nice.

Dario Coos Refosco 2004 was a weird wine. I understand it is made in an Amarone style so it has some RS. It is earthy and bitter and actually a great deal of fun though it is a bit weird. Dario Coos Vindos 2005 is a nice white from Verduccio and Chardonnay, also with a touch of RS but it is bright and acidic enough. Strange wines, but very likable.

But the star of the day was Perusini, from Colli Or. del Fr. I've reported on them before, but I can't stop praising them! The wines are very pure. The Ribolla Gialla 2005 was bright and had some GrüVel- and gravel-like notes. The Chardonnay 2005 is unoaked and is plumper than Chablis tends to be, but has lovely supporting acidity. Both wines were more mineral than fruit driven despite their ripe and expressive and pure fruit. Lovely wines, both of them.

Perusini's reds are fantastic also. Cabernet Franc 2005 is vegetal yet ripe and herbal and smells just like CabF should. A delight. Their Merlot 2004 (with black label - apparently a step up from their white label Merlot which I've never tasted) is red toned with darker undertones and screams Merlot at me yet is in a savoury and well structured style. I think this is the first varietal Merlot I have honestly enjoyed. Their Rosso di Postiglione 2004 is a Bordeaux-blend. It smells like it too - like an unspoofulated right-bank, earth driven wine. Nice.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Perusini rocks!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Otto, have found a Ribollo finally!! $26 Cdn buys you the `05 Poggiobello, Colli Orientali del Friuli. Stay tuned.