The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995 Chateau Fourcas Hosten (Listrac-Medoc)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

WTN: 1995 Chateau Fourcas Hosten (Listrac-Medoc)

by Dave Moritz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:03 pm

Hit by another craving for Bordeaux, we opened this QPR favorite last week to see how it was progressing. Decanted for two hours.

The color was garnet red with a bit of pinking on the rim. The bouquet was very earthy with just a hint of red fruit. Upon tasting it, we found this to be surprisingly backward compared to a bottle consumed about a year ago. On the palate, I noted a vertiable wall of mineral flavors, very firm tannin, a hint of black olive and a just a soupcon of tea. Another half dozen hours of open time were needed to bring out some red fruit flavors.

Not sure what to think of this at this time. I found myself regretting that we hadn't served it with beef steak rather than broiled chicken. With four more bottles on hand, I'll probably let at least another year pass before venturing another opening. I purchased (and continue to do so) this property's offerings becasue they represented an austere, old-style Bordeaux; this bottle surely did not disappoint in that regard! About $15.

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 1995 Chateau Fourcas Hosten (Listrac-Medoc)

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks for the note. K&L carries this producer, I believe.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

Re: WTN: 1995 Chateau Fourcas Hosten (Listrac-Medoc)

by Dave Moritz » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Brian:

Yes, they do. The number of importers who've been willing to carry this producer have become quite few in recent years. In fact, I tried to locate the 2001 and 2002 in the U.S., but to no avail. Fortunately it seems that K&L picked them up again in the 2003 vintage.

Dave Mo