The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Clos Pepe Estate Chardonnay Hommage to Chablis Clo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: 2001 Clos Pepe Estate Chardonnay Hommage to Chablis Clo

by John Tomasso » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:10 am

• 2001 Clos Pepe Estate Chardonnay Hommage to Chablis Clos Pepe Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills (6/8/2007)
    pale gold color - smells of cut melon and pineapple
    refreshing on the palate with bright acidity - medium weight - more to the pineapple side of the spectrum than the green apple and citrus I'd remembered - definitely warmer fruit - along with a lovely stoniness that I really enjoyed.
    The wine paired well with a frittata and a simple green salad.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2001 Clos Pepe Estate Chardonnay Hommage to Chablis Clo

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Just curious, what does it mean when they say "Hommage to Chablis", i.e. do they believe the vineyard has certain characteristics reminiscent of the the terroir in chablis, or do they take certain winemaking/vinification practices?

Is that the stoniness you note?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: WTN: 2001 Clos Pepe Estate Chardonnay Hommage to Chablis Clo

by John Tomasso » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:33 am

Rahsaan wrote:Just curious, what does it mean when they say "Hommage to Chablis", i.e. do they believe the vineyard has certain characteristics reminiscent of the the terroir in chablis, or do they take certain winemaking/vinification practices?

Is that the stoniness you note?

I can only infer that the winemaker was trying to differentiate his wine from stereotypical fat buttery CA chard, to alert prospective consumers that the wine is made in a leaner style than they might otherwise be used to. The wine saw no wood - it was fermented in stainless steel, as opposed to his other cuvee, which was barrel fermented. (and which he no longer produces)

I also note a certain minerality in the wines that come from this vineyard, both the reds, and whites.

I guess you'd have to ask him what he meant - I can only guess.

Afterthought: his website provides a clue - an excerpt follows....

The oak barrels I use for Chardonnay (we use mainly stainless steel casks, but will often rack into neutral wood for the mouthfeel) are a minimum of five years old, which adds only a hint of oak flavor to the wine. Most Chardonnay producers like a lot of new wood in their wine, but I prefer the underoaked wines of the Cote de Beaune and Chablis as my blueprint for style. The Clos Pepe fruit has an amazing underlying acidity and minerality that can become overwhelmed by new oak. Quite frankly, I believe that the fruit is so beautiful it doesn't need the added flavors of new oak to be complex, big and delicious. As 'malolactic fermentation' finishes, the wine has evolved from aromas of pineapple, grapefruit, mango and overt fruitiness to a wine filled with mature aromas of pear, apple, hazelnut, wet stones, firm acidity, lime blossom, yet with the rich, opulent sweetness up front in the palate, and bracing acidity, dryness, and minerals in the finish.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"