The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Troubling article, from Blomberg.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Troubling article, from Blomberg.

by Bob Ross » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:57 am

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Troubling article, from Blomberg.

by Jenise » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:27 pm

Bob, this article hints at a problem many of us who buy at auction have wondered about. I asked one house I deal what they did to ensure that wine I might bid on wasn't Katrina wine. They responded that they flat-out aren't taking any consignments from the general area affected by the hurricane(s), and also that they examine every lot they list for heat-affected labels. It was a relief to read here that those wines have been mostly going overseas. Makes one wonder, though, to whom?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:02 pm

Jenise wrote: It was a relief to read here that those wines have been mostly going overseas.

Not to us it's not!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:15 pm

Hey, you Poms would know better. I was presuming that 'overseas' was more likely to mean Namibia or Moscow. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:40 pm

Here's a curious point, though:

When Jimmy Brennan sat down to taste the wines, he found bottle after bottle had gone bad, tasting like burnt sherry.

Within weeks after exposure to heat? That seems a little odd.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:08 pm

Mmm...I don't think it's so odd. That was pretty prolonged exposure, which probably does more noticeable damage than just an hour or two in a warm car.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Mmm...I don't think it's so odd. That was pretty prolonged exposure, which probably does more noticeable damage than just an hour or two in a warm car.

No question, but bear in mind that cooked doesn't manifest itself as "burnt sherry." It sounds like he's describing severely oxidized/maderized wine, which could certainly have happened if the extreme heat blew the corks all the way out. But they wouldn't have had to resort to tasting to detect that.

I'm just saying either the writer got something wrong, or the writer or the source may have embroidered a little.