The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Antinori handful

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

WTN: Antinori handful

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:02 pm

Our local wine shop has been doing a string of freebie Friday tastings, which have been drawing good crowds. This week it featured a handful of wines from Antinori: two whites, two Chianti’s and a super Tuscan.

2006 Campogrande Orvieto Classico ($10): 12% ABV. This wine was a huge hit, and every bottle in the store was gone ... before I arrived. Not even a drop left to taste. :cry: I’ll go back and get some after they restock.

2003 Umbria Cervaro della Sala ($43): 13.5% ABV. This is a blend of (85%) Chardonnay and (15%) Grechetto … and it smells like a forest fire, overwhelmingly oak and smoke. Beautiful gold color, with the flavor of sweet pineapple up front. Good acid with a long finish. I dumped most of the generous taste I received.

2004 Peppoli Chianti Classico ($24): 13% ABV. I was told this wine has a very small amount of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot blended with the Sangiovese. It has good color, but is a bit short on aroma. Medium-light body with rather light fruit flavors that can not do justice to the levels of tannin and acid. Strong vanilla or something like that on the finish. For the price, this wine did not impress me.

2001 Tenute Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva ($30): 13.5% ABV. Now we are talking really good Chianti, here. Nice dark color in the glass, with an aroma that opens up beautifully. Smooth and balanced, lovely fruit and very refined on the palate, with a very good finish. This was the best wine for the price … at least the ones I got to taste.

2001 Bolgheri Superiore Guado al Tasso ($80): 14% ABV. WOW … I loved this wine … then I saw the price. :shock: It is a blend of (60%) Cabernet Sauvignon, (30%) Merlot and (10%) Syrah. This wine is dark and lush, with wonderfully complex flavors. It is beautifully balanced and has a fabulous finish. This is a great wine, but for the price it darn well better be great.

-- Clark