The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Calif Grenache/Mourvedre/Blends..(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Calif Grenache/Mourvedre/Blends..(long/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:10 pm

We tasted last week (5/30/07) Some Grenache/Mourvedre/Blends:
1. SierraVista ElDorado Grenache (EB; 13.5%) 2005: Med.color; slight earthy/dusty/ElDorado
terroir bit Rhonish light strawberry/Grenache; some earthy/dusty/Rhonisg slight metallic
light Grenache/strawberry flavor; med.long Rhonish/earthy/dusty light strawberry/Grenache
finish w/ no tannins; a pleasant little CdR-level Grenache. $19.25
little tannins; a pretty little Grenache but just that. $21.00
earthy/peppery flavor; slight bitter/tannic light earthy bright/strawberry/Grenache
slight peppery/spicy finish w/ some tannins; needs a yr or two; lots of pretty/bright
strawberry/Grenache fruit; bit pricey at $39.00
Oz-like/jammy flavor; very long jammy/ripe/boysenberry/strawberry/Grenache slight toasty/
oak bit alcoholic finish; needs several yrs; rather Oz-like w/o the oak. $35.00
strawberry/Grenache slight earthy light oak/toasty finish; needs several yrs; a rather
pretty Grenache. $27.00
toasty/oak/smokey bit peppery tart slight cabbagey flavor; long smokey/pungent/Rhonish/
roasted light toasty/oak slight funky/cabbagey finish w/ sligght tannins; needs several
yrs; lots of WashState terroir and not much fruit; quite an interesting/Rhonish red.
$36.00
blackberry/boysenberry essence of framboise slight toasty/oak finish w/ some tannins;
big extracted almost Alban-like Grenache; terrific wine. $37.00
light toasty/oak finish; speaks less of Grenach and more of Thompson terroir; terrific/
interesting Grenache. $37.00
oak rather Oz-like flavor; long slight toasty/oak ripe/plummy/boysenberry huge fruit finish
w/ light tannins; big/huge fruit wine in an Oz style; very good price. $24.00
herbal/Cab finish w/ some tannins; interesting off-beat red that seems dominated by the
Cab. $29.00
soft plummy/boysenberry/black cherry some cola/DrPepper light dusty/earthy light toasty/oak
flavor; long very plummy/blackberry/cola/DrPepper finish w/ some tannins; needs several
yrs. $36.00
mostly about ElDorado terroir and not much fruit; pleasant red. $19.00
long pungent/smokey/oak rather roasted/NR some strawberry/Grenache some bretty/horsecollar
finish; unusual CdP w/ a lot of NorthernRhone/roasted character; should still go for
several more yrs. Larry's mystery.
w/ light tannins; a rather pretty Grenache that's ready to drink.
striking. But I think Dave is making some of the best Mourvedre-based wines out there.
I love his CandyCore LateHrvst Grenache. And at HdR, I had my first Core white, an '05
GrenacheBlanc/Marsanne/Roussanne blend that I was favorably impressed with.
TomHill
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: WTN: Calif Grenache/Mourvedre/Blends..(long/boring)

by John Tomasso » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:54 pm

Tom, conspicuous by its absence is the Beckmen's grenache. I think his stuff from Purisima Mtn is worthy of comparison with Alban's, no?

I also agree on Core - a producer to watch.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope..

by TomHill » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 pm

I DO like Steve's PurisimaMtn Grenache...a lot. But I also rate it down there in the 2'nd tier w/ Ojai, Jaffurs, Ampelos, etc.
To me, the Alban's stand alone at the top of the heap. The Beckman doesn't have, to me, the structure and the acidity the Alban's have. They're good...very good...but Alban stands alone.
But waht would I know...I've only followed them from the very start!! :-)
Tom