The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Decant your Muscadet!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: Decant your Muscadet!

by Marc D » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:01 pm

I've opened some favorites from recent vintages and have noticed a huge difference in the way the wines show after being opened for 24 hours. It is really hard not to drink the whole bottle when they are first opened, but to me overnight in the fridge makes the experience so much better.

2005 Domaine de la Pepiere (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Clos des Briords (France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine) 05/31/07

Minerals galore, chalk, sea shells, lemon and brine in a heady, pure transparent mix. Really shines on the second day. Lots of good acidity but not sharp at all. Great.

2004 Domaine de la Pepiere (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Clos des Briords (France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine) 5/15/2007

The nose is not giving up much right now. In the mouth the wine has balance and poise, lemony rocks with a great persistent finish. It shows more after a couple of days open in the fridge, but I'm not opening any more of these soon. This is much tighter than the '05 right now.

2004 Luneau-Papin Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Le L D'Or (France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine) 5/11/2007

With fresh oysters topped with breadcrumbs, minced ginger, shallot, and red peppers under the broiler for a couple of minutes, this was a hit with the crowd. Crisp saline, lemon lime and tonic water, vibrant but not sharp in the mouth with a long finish. Excellent. Overnight the wine really explodes, more expression and juicy sapidity in the mouth. For me it is impossible to own too much of this one.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Decant your Muscadet!

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:32 pm

Marc-
Thanks for the update on the 2004 Briords. I was leering at them in the cellar this week with an eye to opening one soon. I think I'll wait a couple of years based upon your note. .
I've never decanted a Muscadet, so I'll have to give it a go sometime.
Thanks,
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:56 pm

Redwinger wrote:I've never decanted a Muscadet, so I'll have to give it a go sometime.

'Best thing about decanting Muscadet is that it gets closer to room temp. - its a lot more flavorful in those environs.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Good points, Marc. Decanting for a solid day (or days in the bottle) really does do wonders.
Thanks for the update on '04 Briords and it's good to see that '05 so plenty accessable. I wish L D'Or were as available as Briords is around here.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:27 pm

Marc D wrote:It is really hard not to drink the whole bottle when they are first opened, but to me overnight in the fridge makes the experience so much better.

I agree on both counts. So I guess the only solution is to open multiple bottles that first night :lol: