The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chateau Rieussec Sauternes 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

WTN: Chateau Rieussec Sauternes 2003

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Chateau Rieussec Sauternes 2003
Served blind I knew this light yellow-gold coloured sweetie couldn't be Kiwi or Oz (the usual fare) as it smelt so different - sweet, yes, but overlaid with dried hay, rancid nuts and acetate from the oak. But it didn't take long to get over the detracting part of the aroma for this is an absolutely superb wine in the mouth. It's honey sweet with a hint of pencil shaving oak and plumped-up dried apricots with a slightly salty nuance and a toffee-ish finish. After a couple of sips more there was a definite reminder of the flavour of orange liqueur (but not the alcohol of orange liqueur). It's very fine in its viscous texture with a lasting finish. Gorgeous stuff.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

Re: WTN: Chateau Rieussec Sauternes 2003

by Neil Courtney » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:48 am

It was a stunning sweetie! I tasted all 17 bottles (750ml) that were opened on the day, and each one was the same sublime quality. Some of the sets of wines that I tasted were slightly variable in quality bottle to bottle, but not the Rieussec. Great stuff!
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:00 am

Sauternes other than d'Yquem - the most underrated sweet wine in the world IMO.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:24 pm

One thing that has long been perplexing me is why I like the 2003 Sauternes I've so far tried. They may be huge in fruit and low in acidity but there is some sort of freshness to them which makes them totally palatable to me. Suduiraut is currently the best of what I've had, but Rieussec, though qualitatively at the same level, is stylistically less to my taste. It is very oaky, less bright and rather like the style that d'Yquem makes in most years. Thanks for your note!

-o-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:55 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:It was a stunning sweetie! I tasted all 17 bottles (750ml) that were opened on the day, and each one was the same sublime quality. Some of the sets of wines that I tasted were slightly variable in quality bottle to bottle, but not the Rieussec. Great stuff!

I now have this picture of Neil sitting in a corner with his arms around the 17 bottles shouting "they're all mine - hands off!"
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:25 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:
Neil Courtney wrote:It was a stunning sweetie! I tasted all 17 bottles (750ml) that were opened on the day, and each one was the same sublime quality. Some of the sets of wines that I tasted were slightly variable in quality bottle to bottle, but not the Rieussec. Great stuff!

I now have this picture of Neil sitting in a corner with his arms around the 17 bottles shouting "they're all mine - hands off!"

He's from New Zealand, so the correct phrase is "my preciousssssssss..."
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:34 pm

That viscosity is something isn't it? I've never run into the likes of it from that area.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov