The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: JC & Paulo come to NY ('58 Spanna, '80 Pommard, '78 Graves, etc)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: JC & Paulo come to NY ('58 Spanna, '80 Pommard, '78 Graves, etc)

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:44 pm

That might be true, Paulo -- I never had a corked Champagne that I could identify. Maybe the bubbles drove away the TCA aroma. I'll try another bottle and revert. It sure wasn't very impressive tonight.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Unfortunately, I moved my little memo notebook from my purse to my flight bag for the trip back to North Carolina yesterday and forgot to bring it to work today to post my notes. Fortunately, Dale and others did a great job of covering the territory (or terroir)! I'll give the Pommard and the Vallana Spana co-wines of the night with the Amarone a delightful third. I enjoyed both Rieslings. The Bordeaux did not show as well between the Pommard and the Vallana Spana. (And, like Paulo, I'm more devoted to Burgundies than to Bordeaux, although I have been seduced by a taste of Angelus or Pavie Maquin).
In reference to the Hermann Wiemer Dry Riesling 2006, the winery has a new distributor, who apparently has been making broad sweeps through the Finger Lakes, collecting a large portfolio, and the wines may be showing up in more NYC shops and restaurants. In the past, Hermann Wiemer was sold almost totally at the winery.
I'm glad the group was small Tuesday night so that I could visit more with everyone. My trip back to NC was uneventful compared to Friday's trip through LaGuardia to Rochester, NY when the dreaded "air traffic control computer crash" occurred (resulting in about 3 1/2 hours on the tarmac partly with minimal air conditioning) and then a two-hour drive in a rental car from Rochester, NY to south end of Lake Seneca in a rainstorm with lightning and patches of rolling fog and warnings of possible high winds and hailstones. (Couldn't throw in a plague of locusts for me could you?)
I arrived at my destination at 9:30 PM that Friday instead of 5:30 or 6:00.

Paulo, I will e-mail you privately the contact for my musician/composer acquaintance in Philadelphia.

Thanks everyone for showing up a rainy night in Georgia (oops, NYC) to create a highlight of my trip.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Jane. It was so nice to finally meet you, after reading and enjoying your tasting notes for so long. I'm sorry your journey home was such a challenge, and hope to meet you again when next you visit New York.

Thanks for bringing us that Finger Lakes Riesling -- I enjoyed tasting it against an old favorite and opening my mind a little bit.

Regards, Bob
Previous