The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WNT: Marcus Stein 2004 Riesling Kabinette

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WNT: Marcus Stein 2004 Riesling Kabinette

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:45 am

When I first uncorked this I was a little concerned because the cork looked really moldy and smelled oxidized. But as soon as I started pouring I knew I had nothing to be concerned about, as some really fragrant floral notes jumped right out before I even had a chance to swirl. A deeper inhale revealed a light petrol and fresh creek water over rocks (that's the only way I know to describe a frangrance I've noted in some wines...maybe it's minerality??). The taste was unmistakeably lemon merengue at first, followed up by gala apples (or maybe fuji, not quite sure but it was one of those kind of tart, red apples). Pretty full mouthfeel, just a little bit oily, w/ a medium-short finish. Zingy acidity. The already flavorful salmon, which had been pan-fried in butter and seasoned w/ salt, pepper and thyme, tasted extra rich after a sip of the wine. After about 1/2 hour, when what was left in the glass had come close to room temperature, the flavor was that of sweet oranges.

Overall I liked this wine; it was just a tad too sweet for me, but I'd buy it again just to accompany the same salmon dish.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt