The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Scott Paul Pinot Noir (Martha Pirrie)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2005 Scott Paul Pinot Noir (Martha Pirrie)

by Jason Hagen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:22 pm

2005 Scott Paul Pinot Noir Cuvee Martha Pirrie
My first taste of Scott’s 05s and this wine showed very nicely. This Cuvee is the lowest price pinot in the lineup and is theoretically made to be drunk on the earlier side. It is a blend of Shea, Stoller and Ribbon Ridge vineyards. The nose certainly shows the Stoller but it is not overpowering. Very expressive nose showing dark fruits with some tar and earth. Expansive across the palate. Not mouth coating rather more silky. Tons of primary fruit. From the nose and front palate it was reminding me of a ripe Cali pinot. Lots to offer for a hedonist but then there is great balanced acidity as well. Not a cocktail but not shy. Since it is under screw cap I put 1/3 of the bottle back in the fridge…but by the time we were finishing the last glass my wife said “this is good…get the rest of the bottle”. Nice. There is a lot going here for $23. I think 12 months will help settle this bouncing baby down. 91 pts.

Jason
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: 2005 Scott Paul Pinot Noir (Martha Pirrie)

by Marc D » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:09 pm

I have to give the Scott Paul wines another try. I tasted the Martha Pirrie PN from 2003 and it was just OK, but I've read lots of positive things about them. Maybe it was a victim of the hot year.

Jason, have yout tried the Westrey pinot noirs? I really enjoyed the 2002 reserve bottle recently and was wondering how the rest of their wines were.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:25 pm

Marc D wrote:I have to give the Scott Paul wines another try. I tasted the Martha Pirrie PN from 2003 and it was just OK, but I've read lots of positive things about them. Maybe it was a victim of the hot year.

Yeah I take many of the 2003s with a grain of salt. Thanks being said Scott does usually make wines on the more subtle side and may not be for everybody.

Marc D wrote:Jason, have yout tried the Westrey pinot noirs? I really enjoyed the 2002 reserve bottle recently and was wondering how the rest of their wines were.

I have not tried these. I would like to. Seems like great pricing. I may try to track some down but I think it will be the fall before I can have them shipped. I haven't seen any locally.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:28 pm

I just found out that Scott's daughter, Pirrie, was severely burned. The signs are now positive but it is heartbreaking none the less. Scott writes about it here http://www.scottpaul.com/blog/

Jason
Last edited by Jason Hagen on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:09 pm

Best wishes for Pirrie's recovery. Do you know how old the little girl is?

I usually like subtle wines rather than the other extreme. Must have been the vintage.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:18 pm

Marc D wrote:Best wishes for Pirrie's recovery. Do you know how old the little girl is?

4 or 5.

Jason