The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Talbot, Viader, Latah Creek, Coldstream Hills, Patricia Green

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Talbot, Viader, Latah Creek, Coldstream Hills, Patricia Green

by Jenise » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:29 pm

1986 Talbot, Bordeaux
I've had a perfect bottle of this in the last six months so I know just how good this should have been and wasn't. A gift bottle, apparently poorly stored somewhere in its past. Still good enough to drink, but it drank like a tired wine 20 years older than it is.

2005 Latah Creek chardonnay, Connor Lee Vineyard, Washington
Tasted like cedar plank smoked Jonathan apples. Very bizarre, and with fairly high residual sugar. Didn't like.

2005 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir, Australia
No bells or whistles here, but really good, honest, unadulterated cherry-cherry pinot noir fruit here. Very refreshing in its directness and simplicity.

2001 Patricia Green "Four Winds" Pinot Noir, Oregon
My last of four bottles. I'm relieved they're gone. First one two years ago: swampwater, undrinkable. Second one six months ago: susprisingly drinkable, red fruit with lots of earthy/fungal undertones. Third one three weeks ago: black fruit and quite fizzy from secondary fermentation. Fourth one last night: back to red fruit, faint fizz, mildly cloudy, fungal. I wouldn't have thought it possible for four wines from the same source to have been so different.

1994 Viader, Napa Valley
I was surprised how light this was compared to the 91's I've had two of in the last two years. Which isn't to complain about the wine, just would have thought 94 would have produced a pretty big wine, too. So, just medium bodied, but lovely merlot and cab franc aromas, supple mouthfeel, long finish. Where I think the 91's have years to go, this '94 seemed at peak.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Talbot, Viader, Latah Creek, Coldstream Hills, Patricia Green

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:34 pm

Tough sledding. Really too bad about the Talbot.

Ever get the chance to try that PA Chabourcin?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: Talbot, Viader, Latah Creek, Coldstream Hills, Patricia Green

by Jenise » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:51 pm

Nope, have not opened that bottle yet, David. Will do so soon. Was waiting for an occasion when we had some geeky friends around to snort and huff over it.

Yeah re the Talbot. :cry:

Oh, and re the Patricia Green? I was just out in the cellar picking up neck tags with which to adjust my inventory downward, and realized that one of the two recent Patties was not the Four Winds vineyard, but a bottle of the 01 Eason Vineyard. That means that bottle #3 described above was the Eason, not the other, and which also means that yet another Patty Green bottling was sucko. Well, never again, Patty--that's way too much bad luck for me with one producer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Talbot, Viader, Latah Creek, Coldstream Hills, Pat

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh, and re the Patricia Green? I was just out in the cellar picking up neck tags with which to adjust my inventory downward, and realized that one of the two recent Patties was not the Four Winds vineyard, but a bottle of the 01 Eason Vineyard. That means that bottle #3 described above was the Eason, not the other, and which also means that yet another Patty Green bottling was sucko. Well, never again, Patty--that's way too much bad luck for me with one producer.

Would you contact the winery with these results? DO you think they would like to know of your experience? Sucko wine is a good term for it...I have never heard a lot of good about the Patricia Green pn's.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: WTN: Talbot, Viader, Latah Creek, Coldstream Hills, Pat

by Jenise » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:18 pm

Bob, my experience is that winemakers hate bad news and often react negatively to being notified that one is a little put off by having blown $200 on their wines and not had a good drink. Maybe Patricia's different? These all suffered the kinds of things that are usually bottling line problems so the complaints must have been widespread, but even then they usually act like YOU are the problem, be that your attitude or storage habits. Btw, fwiw, the source for the Four Winds and the Eason was different. The latter came from a high end wine shop in Oregon.