The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

The next must-have $650 California wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The next must-have $650 California wine

by Jenise » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:56 pm

An Offer from Vinfolio:

Scarecrow is hands down the most exciting wine project from California in the last 25 years. Made by renowned winemaker Celia Masyczek with grapes from a 60 year-old Rutherford vineyard whos fruit goes into Hollywood & Vine, Opus One, Duckhorn, and Phelps Insignia, the 2003 inaugural release created an instant sensation with The Wine Advocate scoring it 98 points following Vinfolio's score of 97.

Like all secrets, they don't last long and demand for Scarecrow has skyrocketed. With the 2004 vintage as impressive as the last, it continues to be another must have Napa Cabernet. Doug Wilder gave the wine 96 points describing it, "A deeply polished nose showing cherry, creamy mocha and violet with hints of salt. The palate is dense and viscous with boldly focused spice, violet and blackberry flavors."

Quantities are very limited so we encourage you to act quickly to ensure availability.

Price per bottle: $650
or call 1-800-969-1961

Any takers? :o
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

Re: The next must-have $650 California wine

by Glenn Mackles » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:05 pm

This may just be me but I don't think there is any bottle of wine for which
I would be willing to spend $650. I know everyone makes their own choices on what luxuries they are willing to spluge for but that is simply too much for a bottle of wine, in my opinion. Recently a Whole Foods store near me advertised a bottle of Screaming Eagle for $2500. I don't know if they sold it, but if they did it wasn't to me.

I'm sorry but I think this is getting way out of hand.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:43 pm

The day I spend $650 for something to drink is the day after I pick up my Powerball jackpot winnings! :shock:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:55 pm

Another Napa cab with high points, a winemaker we're supposed to worship, tasting notes emphasizing viscous texture and mocha flavor, a three-year track record, and a >$500 price tag.

I can't say I would never, ever spend $650 for a bottle of wine but I can certainly say I would never do so for a bottle like that.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Fiola

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 pm

Boston, MA

by John Fiola » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:24 pm

No... no takers here

I'll do a first growth Bordeaux first.
At least they have a long history.
Cheers,
John
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:42 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Another Napa cab with high points, a winemaker we're supposed to worship, tasting notes emphasizing viscous texture and mocha flavor, a three-year track record, and a >$500 price tag.

I can't say I would never, ever spend $650 for a bottle of wine but I can certainly say I would never do so for a bottle like that.

Mike

Amen.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:58 am

Unwashed heathens! Thou must bow before this golden calf made into wine lest ye be thrown into the fiery pit of eBob Social Hall!

Hear and obey (or at least post that you tried to buy but it was already sold out...)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:13 am

I called the winery to buy six bottles but they were sold out. I then called Whole Foods about the Screaming Eagle and they had sold the bottle. What is a wine geek to do?
Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:21 am

wrcstl wrote:I called the winery to buy six bottles but they were sold out. I then called Whole Foods about the Screaming Eagle and they had sold the bottle. What is a wine geek to do?
Walt

Post on eBob that you tried. It's almost as good as actually owning a bottle.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:23 am

wrcstl wrote:I called the winery to buy six bottles but they were sold out. I then called Whole Foods about the Screaming Eagle and they had sold the bottle. What is a wine geek to do?Walt

The answer is QUITE simple:

Get thyself to Up Valley Real Estate, purchase a run-down but charming "cottage" on the western outskirts of St. Helena for $2.3 million, hire Abreu to replant the 2.3 acres into cult clones, hire Holly Barrett to make the wine, then issue YOUR OWN Cult Cab. 'Viscuos Castles 2008" An unctuous confection of ultra-ripe red fruit with brambly tannins, a layer of vanilla oak, and a texture you can stand a spoon up in (and 16.5% abv). You'll be earning $1200 per bottle within weeks.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:22 pm

wrc's reply caused me to LOL.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:44 pm

Flat Cat.
Doesn't matter how many times we run over it.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:40 pm

wrcstl wrote:I called the winery to buy six bottles but they were sold out. I then called Whole Foods about the Screaming Eagle and they had sold the bottle. What is a wine geek to do?
Walt

Just keep drinking those crappy old Bordeaux you (we) like so much and hope the crowd passes us by.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov