The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Jackson-Triggs Proprieter's Grand Reserve Shiraz 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Jackson-Triggs Proprieter's Grand Reserve Shiraz 2003

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:27 pm

Okanagan Valley.

Very dark purple in the glass.

A beautiful nose that kept evolving and showing something different throughout the entire evening. Smoky, spicy, fresh-crushed fruit, red licorice, creamy (almost like chocolate mousse).

A very big wine, rich and thick, soft and plush in the mouth, creamy, intense, smoky, black cherry, fleshy and fresh raspberry, strawberry and plums, moderately tangy acidity, red licorice, slighty sweet.

Yes, the wine certainly has seen oak, but this is a style I quite enjoy: obvious oak that doesn't overwhelm or overpower the fruit.

All the best Canadian red wines I have enjoyed have come from BC (sorry Ontario) and this wine certainly is near the top of my mental list.

Very fairly priced at $23.95 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Jackson-Triggs Proprieter's Grand Reserve Shiraz 2003

by Paul B. » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:35 pm

Bruce, I would concur partly with you in that all the best Canadian vinifera reds I've had, hands down, have been from B.C. That said, I think that just comparing Quails' Gate OVF with, for example, D'Angelo's OVF from southwestern Ontario, the latter wins by a long shot. Malivoire used to win with their OVF but they have slipped in recent years ... while prices have kept rising. So overall, I prefer hybrid reds from around here, and vinifera reds from B.C.

Thanks for the note BTW. This sounds like another one I should definitely get.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:09 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:All the best Canadian red wines I have enjoyed have come from BC (sorry Ontario) and this wine certainly is near the top of my mental list.

Hi Bruce,

I agree with you that the vast majority of good reds from Canada are from B.C. However, I have had the occasional good pinot noir from Ontario. Thanks for the tasting note on the Jackson-Triggs. I ordered that wine from vintages and it was the only one I did not receive. Must of have been popular.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:27 pm

Tom N. wrote:I ordered that wine from vintages and it was the only one I did not receive. Must of have been popular.

Not sure if it was that popular but Vintages, in its infinite wisdom, ordered a grand total of 56 cases for the entire provinces!! Based on my tasting of the first bottle, I am looking at picking up more, but most stores are sold out or show only one or two bottles left.

Some stores in Toronto do have a dozen or so but there is that stupid Vintages rule that stores can't transfer product between stores until a month after the release. And here I thought they were in business to make things easier for the customer!! :roll:
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:27 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:there is that stupid Vintages rule that stores can't transfer product between stores until a month after the release. And here I thought they were in business to make things easier for the customer!! :roll:

The thing is, they are a monopoly. As is the case with pretty much all monopolies, there is limited or no accountability to customers - someone up there somewhere decides, and the rest of us have to just take it or leave it.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca