The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A fine 1990 from the despised Château Lascombes.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: A fine 1990 from the despised Château Lascombes.

by Tim York » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:23 pm

CHÂTEAU LASCOMBES 1990 – AOC Margaux 2ème grand cru classé – 12.5% alcohol.

(Cabernet Sauvignon 50% , Merlot 40%, CF 5%, PV 5% per Parker in the 1998 edition of « Bordeaux » but Merlot now up to 50% according to the current edition of le Classement.)

Conventional wisdom holds that this estate underperformed badly from its sale by Alexis Lichine in 1971 to its purchase by Colony Capital in 2001. If this is an example of underperformance, please give me more of it.

C: Amber tints show the wine’s ageing. N: Quite discreet but showing a lovely and lively fragrance with hints of violet and raspberry together with some fine leather to give backbone. P: Not a big wine but harmonious showing beautifully “sweet” and bright fragrance with good depth, structure and a gentle crescendo to a long finish with some fine cherry brandy notes.

This wine has always been good since I opened the first bottle in the mid 90s but it now seems to have developed a special harmony and elegance. The colour, however, seems to be telling me that I should drink up the remaining bottles in the next year or two. No hardship about that!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: A fine 1990 from the despised Château Lascombes.

by Jenise » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:00 pm

If this is an example of underperformance, please give me more of it.

Ditto the '75.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A fine 1990 from the despised Château Lascombes.

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:42 pm

I've had the '75 twice and been very impressed both times.
Decisions are made by those who show up